1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bruno Catalano sculpture conundrum

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Feb 6, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Does anybody know where this statue by Bruno Catalano is located in France?

[​IMG]

I've seen a similar one in a gallery in Honfleur, but can find no clues online about where the above item might be. I've tried asking in the Art subject forum with no luck (heathens), and IN THE COMPLETE ABSENCE OF A TRAVEL FORUM (HINT HINT TES STAFF) I thought I'd give it one last try here. I know it's part of a series of works called 'Les Voyageurs', and I've already looked on his website.

Thanks.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

3. magic surf bus

Any luck now kibosh?

[​IMG]

I'm beginning to wonder now if it was only a temporary display.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Sorry, still can't see the pic . . . .do you know what the sculpture is called?

5. magic surf bus

Hmm - it's showing OK in Google Chrome but not in Internet Explorer.
    Anyway kibosh, it's the first one shown on that web link you posted - 'Le Grand Van Gogh'. It's a popular image on the interweb, but the location is proving elusive.

6. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

I think you might be right with your temporary display idea. I think he probably sells the sculptures so it could be in a private collection by now, The closest one i can find is the same one you did in the gallery in Honfleur, they also had pictures of some of his other works.
    I think Honfleur is by the coast, maybe they just took the statue outside to have the picture taken? It's such an interesting piece i would have thought if it was available to view in public it would be very easy to pinpoint with the internet.

Good luck with your search though :)

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Taken from his website:
    'les sculptures de Bruno Catalano font partie des collections de grandes sociétés et des grandes collections privées et publiques dans le monde. Elles sont exposées en France, Angleterre, en Chine, en Belgique, en Suisse, et aux États Unis.'
    So you are both correct.
    Fantastic work, I love it. Reminds of Magritte to a certain extent, in terms of concept.

8. magic surf bus

Honfleur was my initial thought too, but (sad b*stard that I am) I have scoured the French coast from Calais to Arromanches in Google Earth/Streetview looking for a harbour wall like that with a red and white lighthouse on and I can't see one anywhere. Mind you, the sun appears to be shining so that means it's probably not Normandy ;-)

Given that its height is quoted at 70cm on the site kibosh linked to, it probably wouldn't be left out overnight. Ho hum.