1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brunel PGCE Interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by NHC00, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hi!!
    I have an interview at Brunel in a couple of weeks for Maths PGCE...and was wondering if anyone has been through the interview process. In particular what an subject knowledge audit is?? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!![​IMG]

2. DM

DM New commenter

An audit of your subject knowledge! If you want to check for gaps, use the self-evaluation tools here:
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/personal-learning/
    Annoyingly, they have changed it so you have to register to access them but it is completely free.

3. So now I am 2 weeks into the pgce course at Brunel,all is going well so far! Trying my best to keep up with the work so I dont fall behind! Is difficult to change from being a chlorine mum for 10 years to being a full-time mum and a full-time student ,!, does anyone have any good tips on any ideas so I can manage?..

4. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Here are a few brief thoughts:

Be ruthless with your time. If it is not directly relevant to your course, your teaching or your family then put it on a pile to return to when (hah!) you have time.

Look ahead to school holidays. Are they holiday time for you too or will you have assignments, etc to write? If the latter then make childcare arrangements for a couple of days. Can your children stay with their grandparents for a few days, etc? At the start of the holiday you will be tired, and so will your children, and if you have assignments to write too you won't get a break, which won't be good for you. Try to have a few days away from work during holidays too.

Get really well organised. File stuff immediately rather than leaving it to file at the end of the week.

Remind yourself frequently what a wonderful thing you are doing. You are being a full-time student and also being a full-time parent. Many of the other people on your course will only be full-time students.

Bring the experience that your parenthood has taught you into your work. This is a real resource that other, non-parents don't have, so make use of it, particularly in sessions at the university where you will have seen the family repercussions of homework, revision, tests, setting, etc.

Some of the very best trainees I have known have been those with children of their own. I do hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck for the year.

5. Hi !
    Thanks for your tips! I will definitelly take them on board!