1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brunei

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mangochutney, Nov 9, 2016.

1. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

If you dont like the laws of a Country then simply do not go there. Stating that Shariah law is a problem shows that you will not make it in any ME Country.

loislane1 and peachestotulips like this.
  2. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

What is the pay difference between Ding Dong and the other three letter acronymed school? I had a friend of a friend who left Ding Dong after a week and a half in the middle of the night so I avoided applying for that one

3. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

I don't have a clue what Ding Dong means... There are two 3 letter schools and government schools. All vary in salary greatly.

4. 576

576 Established commenter

But the name of one is ****dong ...
    I imagine that is what they mean.

I've heard that ****dong pays more but works their staff harder than the other.
    Money isn't everything though and it's not an expensive place to live

5. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Three letter acronym one only pays equivalent of 2300 GBP and I think they put everyone on the base salary. Obviously your housing is included too and I think the houses are generous. I'll be honest, I expected it to be a lot more than this.

6. 576

576 Established commenter

There are 2 x 3 letter acronyms!!

Why did you expect more ??
    It's not an expensive place to live and as you said that's without tax with accommodation.

7. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I expected more because the other school pays considerably more. I didn't think there would be a big disparity in such a small yet rich country.

Sort your anger out, 576, those exclamation marks aren't good for your health...

8. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

The more popular 3 letter school traditionally services the Shell and Petronas kids from both Brunei and Malaysia, aka the more money including royal students. Hence, they offer the highest out of the two. Whilst the other attracts the rich locals including the Chinese Malays. Both of which have nice and motivated kids who wants to learn. Brunei is a beautiful country, drive up to Sabah, Malaysia or south towards Sarawak with Miri the closest and Kuching further south. As for the Sharia law, all very simple obey them then all is well. On the weekend let loose in Miri, Malaysia where most Bruneians and expats do.

loislane1 likes this.
  9. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

Ah now I get you! Slow...

Both 3 letter schools have royal family attend and both work extremely hard. The base salary is lower with the potential to earn even more at higher paying, resulting in a huge difference. Lower paying school finishes at 11.45 on a Friday and the higher paying staff have to go back 2-3pm (after prayer time). The saving and travel opportunities at both schools is amazing. Out goings are low. The local school also pays more but has split weekends, less hours etc. Higher paying is a huge school.
    It really is a beautiful country with the most friendly, helpful people I have ever met.

10. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Loislane1 - how do we start conversations on here? I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them

loislane1 likes this.
  11. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

Messaged you. Ask away :)