1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brunei

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mangochutney, Nov 9, 2016.

1. noseygeorge

noseygeorge New commenter

What breed of dog do you have?

2. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

3. noseygeorge

You should be ok then. There is a ban on certain breeds by the international airlines to Brunei. We tried to take a Yorkshire terrier but failed.

skeptucator likes this.
  4. skeptucator

A Yorkshire terrier?! On what grounds can they possibly....

5. noseygeorge

Brunei, Malaysian and Singapore Airlines have a ban on snub-nosed dogs (breathing problems in flight). They then extended the ban to all sub breeds to include all terriers. It took me about 6 months to find all this out - everyone gave me conflicting advice, even the airlines and pet relocators in UK and Asia.

6. skeptucator

Oh I see! That makes a lot more sense than it being because they are big and scary...

7. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Quite like the idea of Brunei. Anyone prepared to give an idea of salaries (...please)?

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The one thats listed on search has a starting salary of $31000 tax free, plus the usual benefits package

9. skeptucator

I currently work with someone who spent several years in Brunei before returning to the UK, they were on considerably more than that (but then again they teach physics...)

10. kevinodon

kevinodon New commenter

hi

i dlike to know how they stand over taking medication..and leads?

11. skeptucator

Please can I bump up this thread and ask if anyone with any knowledge of Brunei or the schools there could start a 'conversation' with me?

This would be extremely useful.... thank you.

12. SPC2

The grapevine tells me there are two international schools and that the one on Search pays a lot less.

skeptucator likes this.
  13. skeptucator

The one on Search appears to be a government schools teaching placement scheme?

I can't find either of the international schools on there.

14. SPC2

Sorry, you're right - thought I'd seen it there. Have worked with people who, in turn, worked at both international schools. As we can't name them, alphabetically I'm informed that, for money, you want the second one.

15. skeptucator

The ding dong one?

16. SPC2

Yes, jogging on in the tropics.

17. skeptucator

Haha! Thank you :)

18. lacsap

lacsap New commenter

Three main possibilities in Brunei for teachers. 2 International schools,and the government placement scheme. I** is the lowest salary, but by all accounts a nice place to work. J** pay more, have quite spectacular facilities but you have to work quite a lot. C*** place teachers in Government schools to teach English. Still have to be fully qualified and pay is ok. At current exchange rates with a weak pound a classroom teacher would earn about GBP35 - 40k with accommodation free, no tax, medical insurance, kids schooling . Brunei is a fairly sleepy place, not a lot going on so you make your own entertainment. Great place to bring up kids, always warm, lots of sports facilities, easy to employ people to do your housework and look after your kids. You usually get a nice big house with garden. All in all a pleasant place to be. So far the Sharia Law thing has not had any effect but you never know.

skeptucator likes this.
  19. skeptucator

Thank you @lacsap your post has been extremely helpful.

20. apsara

apsara New commenter

Hello - I hope this bumps this thread.

Does anyone have advice or insight into working at another International school in Brunei please: The one linked to a petrol company, named after things you might pick up on the beach!
    I would be grateful for any info regarding school ethos / working conditions / salaries / accommodation / area.
    I have two children in tow and would be grateful for info on life for kids in Brunei / quality of education at said school etc.
    Thank you in advance.