1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brunei

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Physallis, May 11, 2011.

1. Thanks Happgreenfrog. I got the interview so off to dig up as much info as I can on the school in preparation. Am really looking forward to it and very pleased!!

2. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

have just seen the ad for the management role in Brunei. I would love the adventure but have concerns about my 9 year old and secondary education there. Can you help me? It says on the MOD web that the local international school is week boarding does this mean my daughter would have to board? would it be possible to just attend daily? or is distance an issue?

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I had researched the same thing sun seeker a while ago when I was considering Brunei. The school I was lloking at was about half way between Bandar and Seri so it would have been a sixty minute commute each day which is doable.
    I believe however that where the defence force school is located is a much longer journey and it would mean weekly boarding. If your child is nine, there are a few years before secondary schooling rears its ugly head though. Could you not go out there for three years and then decide whether you like it enough to consider boarding?
    Also, things may change in that time. I'm sure ISB has set a branch of the school in KB and by the time your daughter is old enough for secondary, it may have grown enough to incorporate a secondary stream. I understand your qualms about boarding however, and it is something I would not want for my daughter.