1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brunei

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by annalein, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I have never been to SE Asia and don't know too much about this part of the world. I have researched most of the general facts about the country. However, it is always quite helpful to get some first hand experience about a country.
    What are teachers' wages like? Can one live comfortably and even save a little bit on the side?
    What about Darussalam? Is it an exciting city?
    I think Brunei is well situated to allow some travel. Is it expensive?
    Is there much in the way of an expat scene?
    What are the border towns like in Malaysia?
    Any comments very much appreciated!

2. I have never been to SE Asia and don't know too much about this part of the world. I have researched most of the general facts about the country. However, it is always quite helpful to get some first hand experience about a country.
    What are teachers' wages like? Can one live comfortably and even save a little bit on the side?
    What about Darussalam? Is it an exciting city?
    I think Brunei is well situated to allow some travel. Is it expensive?
    Is there much in the way of an expat scene?
    What are the border towns like in Malaysia?
    Any comments very much appreciated!

3. Hi.
    First off, have a look on DaveESL. There are a number of good threads there about Brunei in the General Asia section.
    Wages are fine. The scale starts at $3750 and goes up to $5500. You get extra cash for partners (married only) and kids (up to 2 i think?)
    You can live well. As with most jobs you have to shell out a few quid at the start to get your self settled but once you get into a routine it's pretty easy to save a chunk.
    Bandar is the main city. It isn't exciting at all so forget about that. There are 2 main shopping areas which have a few decent stores but that's about it.
    AirAsia fly from Brunei to KL. Flights vary wildly in prices so take a look on their site. Royal Brunei are the main carrier and they are more expensive. Cebu Pacific also fly to the Phillipines from Brunei.
    The expat scene is well established. People make their own fun here. Most popular appears to be the Hash House Harriers, sailing at the Yacht club, diving in the Bay and going to the gym. It's a very small community so it doesn't take long to get to know the people.
    The nearest border town to Bandar is Kuala Lurah. It's a ramshackle "village" which exists to sell beer to thirsty expats and Bruneians (Chinese or otherwise) Prices are low but the border closes at 10pm so you have to go back into Brunei. Miri is the nearest proper city. It's a decent spot with some great restaurants and bars.

4. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

I'm due to fly out to Brunei in August. Excited doesn't even begin to describe it. Any 'real life' experiences anyone could share would be great. I think i've read pretty much everything there is to read on the internet.

Anybody done any scuba diving out that way?

5. Hi Zehner
    thanks for your answer. I meant Bandar and not Darussalam. I don't know what I was thinking. Can't have been on the ball.
    Are you teaching there at the moment? Could I PM you as most of the information on schools is quite old. I'll check out DaveESL cafe.

6. Have you got a teaching job there?

7. Feel free to pm.

8. Hi Jaupua,

Diving in Brunei is a popular pastime with many. The diving is excellent and several CfBT teachers are among those who go out on the dive boat each Sunday.The South China Sea around Brunei has a lot of fantastic dive sites, mainly shipwrecks which make for an incredible experience. The Dive Club owns a superbly equipped boat with takes members on 2 or 3 dives each Sunday and sometimes even further afield for longer trips.
    The club is keen to welcome new members and experienced British Sub-Aqua Club divers are on hand to help. Diving in Brunei is a great way to experience the beauty of the place from a different perspective. Also a great way to meet new people with a common love of the underwater experience.
    Last, but not least, it is not the expensive hobby that it is in other parts of the world - relatively cheap in fact.

9. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

Cheers all, very excited about it. It's all about the teaching, of course, but i'd be lying in the diving wasn't a factor in choosing Brunei. Hop, skip and a jump from Sipadan, Layang Layang, Bali and Cebu.
    Whoop! Whoop!

10. If you are at JIS the students do diving as an after-school club. Maybe ISB too but am not sure.

11. C**t is a dismal outfit. I'm not sure how many people have left or been fired this year but its well into double figures. If you're a qualified teacher and value your status, stay away from these cowboys

12. Congratulations, each person will have their own perspective of working for C*** My post is merely to point out that well into double figures have been sacked or left this year. I hear the latest victim stayed in the country for a mere 12 hours. If you value your career, steer clear.

13. Did you end up going to Brunei? How do/ did you find it? I'm looking at positions.

14. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What about all the changes with Shariah law I've read about on other forums? Did they not happen in the end?