1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bronchitis.. should you go into work?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pianist1, May 15, 2018.

1. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

I teach in a Junior school and am based in year 4 but was diagnosed with acute bronchitis yesterday. I’m on amoxicillin and salbutamol. I have done a days work but I’m not sure whether I should be going in from the children’s health point of view. I have felt slightly tired and had to use the inhaler with the spacer twice. The first time I was the only adult with the children. (Due to SATS, all support staff were being readers for year 6).Some of the children gave me very odd looks.

2. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

When I had bronchitis I was confined to bed for 10 days and really poorly. I can't imagine you're doing yourself any good going into school. Do take care.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You are tired because you are not getting enough oxygen through your lungs and into your blood. Have your doctor write you a note. Your immune system is compromised right now and you need time to recover while your meds do their work if you are not to deteriorate and contract other infections. Bronchitis can segue into pneumonia and then you're really in trouble.

4. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

Thank you both for the advice. It’s baffling as to why I have this. I’m fifty three and generally get unwell at the end of term one only ... and that’s normally just a bad cold. I’m rarely off work so being unwell at this time of year is strange. I didn’t go to choir last night despite there being a new conductor... I went to bed at eight.

5. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Established commenter

You really shouldn't go in at the moment. You can self certificate for 7 days. Give your body chance to recover. You won't get any prizes for pushing yourself and making yourself more ill. Listen to your body.

6. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

The nurse said that my chest is tight and that he’d recommend not going in tomorrow or Friday. I said that it is SATS week... the worst week to be absent. The HLTAs who would take my class are deployed as readers. A work colleague today said unreservedly that it’s not bronchitis it’s hayfever. I told the nurse this and he said tell this teacher she can come and do my job. Funnily enough she used to be a nurse before being a teacher.
    I’m supposed to be teaching some new songs in choir club tomorrow but will find ways around that. The nurse did you with the idea of prescribing me steroids but instead have been given additional amoxicillin.

7. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

If you're too poorly for work, you're too poorly for work.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Bronchitis is not to be sneezed at! Seriously, it is a very nasty illness and I'm sure you shouldn't be at work, at least for a few days until the antibiotics have started to take effect. You need to rest, to get your strength back. SATS are over now, but even so, these situations do happen and it is for SLT to work out how to cover them. Your health and well-being are the most important thing here. If you don't feel any better over the weekend, go back to your GP and ask for a medical certificate, then rest up and return to work when you feel stronger - maybe after half term? Get well soon.

10. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm a bronchitis sufferer after a cold and it is very dangerous. My answer to your question is 'No. Do not go in to work.' Your poor body needs time to recover and bronchitis is serious. It can turn into pneumonia if you're not careful.

11. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

12. pianist1

pianist1 New commenter

Thank you to all those who replied. I did go in after all but felt unwell. I was given antibiotics and an inhaler. I am fit and well now... actually... just well rather than the ‘fit’ part. Addressing that is next on my list.

13. lynneseptember

It always amazes me why people who are seriously unwell martyr themselves for school. Why? The place continues to function whether you are there or not. Your health is more important than dragging yourself into work when you really shouldn’t!

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  14. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I had brohnchitis once- horrible thing. The funny thing is I had no idea. I was coughing all the time, going through a box of tissues a day, looked like poo and felt dreadful BUT this was all happening in the run up to my wedding- in Canada. I didn't have time to be ill! The photos are in stunning locations but my poor old face tells another story.
    Ruined our wedding/ holiday of a lifetime.:(:(

15. lynneseptember

Yes, I can see how you might have thought your symptoms were stress related as they coincided with the run up to organising your wedding - a known stressor.
    What I was meaning was those who know they are unwell but still insist on turning up for work when they know they are really unwell and should be at home recuperating. Why do they do it?