1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broken TV - who pays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Skitashi, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

Need a bit of advice here please. My son was over at a friends who asked him to move his TV from his upstairs bedroom to downstairs. My son was uncomfortable and didn't want to saying he didn't want the responsibility - his mate insisted and so he took it downstairs and it broke whilst he placed it on the table. A complete accident, he was being careful but his mate immediately insisted he pay the £150 to replace it. Please could you tell me what you think should happen as his mate doesn't have insurance....

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

His mate should have had insurance. He didn't. Nothing to do with your son.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And why didn't the mate carry his own TV downstairs?

4. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

Your son should tell his "mate" to run up a shutter and play with the knocker.

Ron_Pubes likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

how did it break? Sounds odd to me (a case for Judge Judy), but it's not your son's fault IMO....

6. Ron_Pubes

Ron_Pubes Occasional commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

7. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

Thank you! I am of the opinion it was an accident he was doing him a favour and shouldn't have to pay anything but my son feels bad and has said he will go halves but his mate isn't happy. We are now at stalemate.....

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Just let your son get on with it. It's quite a boring problem anyway.

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Your son's friend took the risk of asking someone else to move it. Why didn't he move it himself? Was it actually broken before it was moved but only became apparent when it was put on the table? (I'm cynical, me.) I wouldn't be paying for it.

10. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

No it was working before, but my son said he didn't want to move it -I really don't know why his mate didn't carry it-he has offered half now

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Of course your son shouldn't pay anything. And his so-called mate is nothing of the sort. He's a horrible person. When your son pays nothing what exactly is his 'mate'going to do? It would be laughed out of court if it got that far, and he's hardly going to be badly off if the 'mate' falls out with him. In fact it sounds as if he'd be a lot better off.

lindenlea, GLsghost and Lascarina like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think your son should buy his mate a copy of the Radio Times for when his mate shells out for a new television.

13. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

IMO, your son has no liability (in law) towards his friend whatsoever, either in contract (no contract exists in this situation) or in negligence.

The liability is all your son's friend's. Some friend!

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on what value each of them puts on the friendship rather than on the telly. Where did the £150 figure come from?

Lessons to be learned on both sides there I reckon.

15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Was it a heavy tv in which case they should have both carried it. If it was a flat screen tv his mate should have carried it (not that heavy). Kind of odd that his mate insisted your son should carry it. Unless he was unduly negligent I would not offer anything.

16. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I assume you mean

Ex mate

sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  17. Tom_Pubes

Tom_Pubes Senior commenter

Should of said no.

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Of???

lindenlea, sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  19. Skitashi

Skitashi New commenter

The £150 was the price of the TV new it was a 32" And he should have said NO but didn't it - Definitely lessons learnt ....apart from anything else ...have insurance as sh**t happens

20. Tom_Pubes

Tom_Pubes Senior commenter

Yeah. Of. And?