1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broken record

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Caligraphy, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Here I go AGAIN. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not go into a classroom unless you are a member of a union or another professional organisation. It will be too late to join if you are accused of something or if you are facing informal or formal capability. As teachers, we trained for years to do what is becoming increasingly a thankless job. Don't throw it away for the sake of a few pounds per month.
    Nag over.;)

drvs, Mrs_Hamilton, Laphroig and 7 others like this.
  2. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Calligraphy you are so right. Where did it all go so horribly wrong? Bloody acadamisation

3. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

Never ceases to amaze me how some people are not!

Mrs_Hamilton and Laphroig like this.
  4. Caligraphy

I know. I've lost count of how many times I've posted about this. I'll be a star commenter at this rate.:):)

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

It never ceases to amaze me how many people see Union as an insurance policy and nothing else.

What about, "The Workers United Will Never Be Defeated" aspect of Unions?

If you need more help on that - There's a clue in the word "Union"

Tinycat1234 and Caligraphy like this.
  6. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

They are also a brilliant source of CPD and professional advice!

Caligraphy and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 New commenter

I'm not in a union and don't intend to join a union.

I know people who have paid union fees for years and they were useless.

I would rather fight my own battles if required.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You are either rich enough not to need your job, or foolish. Only you know which...

Elly40, Jesmond12 and Laphroig like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sorry gadgetgirl but you are so wrong - not being a member of a union is foolish in the extreme.

Laphroig likes this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Could you specify the use that "they were useless" for please?

11. Caligraphy

Good luv
    Good luck with that. Mine were awesome when I needed them. Make sure you have a 'get out of jail free' card ready to help you when someone makes an accusation against you, either real or fabricated. You WILL be fighting your own battle, and you will fight it alone. Your colleagues won't be willing or in many cases even allowed to contact you in some circumstances.

blazer, FrankWolley and strawbs like this.
  12. gadgetgirl123

If the school didn't support me in whatever scenario, then I would not want to work for them and would happily walk away from teaching.

I love my teaching job, teach a subject in demand, and my classes do well. The school had a nightmare finding a replacement when I was on maternity.

I am also a qualified and experienced engineer and could easily (and happily) find a job in this field if required (I am offered jobs in a regular basis). Or I would focus on my family for now and just be a mum.

I only earn around £40/week after childcare so can afford not to work.

I teach because I enjoy my job. I would not enjoy my job if the school did not support me, so I am not sure what the union would be fighting for, hence my reasoning for not joining.

Please enlighten me if I am missing something?

13. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

You could be maliciously accused of something which may be illegal and the union would provide legal protection.

Does that help?

14. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

That's I'll happily leave for you to find all by yourself.

Those who cannot hear, MUST feel.

Laphroig likes this.
  15. Caligraphy

Gosh. With all of those responsibilities it's even more vital you belong to a union. If you are accused of doing something that you may or may not have done, the school will suspend you. Worst case scenario, you may end up in court. You may lose your job and as a consequence, your lively hood. You may be barred from teaching, with no reference. Your school supporting you is the least of your worries. Their responsibility will be to the children. The job you love, could be ripped away from you if an allegation is made. Your school may not support you. Your union will.

Laphroig and strawbs like this.
  16. gadgetgirl123

Finally! A sensible non cryptic response into the pitfalls of not belonging to a union. Thank you!

I have legal cover on my home insurance. Is that not suitable?

17. gadgetgirl123

But I would be equally happy in a non teaching job or just being a mum, so I don't overly see the issue.

Yes, I would be sad to leave, but I believe in fate and if that is what would happen, then so be it.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

To be fair, if you work in a lovely school with decent SLT and a good work-life balance, it can be impossible to really understand how hideous some places can be. I certainly had no idea, until we got a new head and it happened to me.

Campaigning for better conditions also doesn't really mean much if you have very good working conditions. CPD is available from many places and if your school supports you going elsewhere then maybe you won't use the union CPD.

For the vast majority of people belonging to a union is definitely to be advised, but for a few it's possibly not essential.

gadgetgirl123 likes this.
  19. Caligraphy

Emmm. What happens if it's a safeguarding issue. What if it's something that ends you up in court. Going back to 'just being a mum' isn't an option then. It does happen. You just need to read these boards and the newspapers. You have seemed to have thought this through. So I do wish you luck.

20. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

If she is accused of CP/Safeguarding issue, AND she has children, then Social Services will come round to assess if there is any risk to her children....

Laphroig likes this.