1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broken leg

Discussion in 'Personal' started by holesinthewind, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Has anyone out there returned to work after breaking their leg. I broke mine 5 weeks ago and am still non-weight bearing post surgery. Any handy hints or pitfalls to avoid?

2. I would try and avoid the following, hopping, triple jump and falling down pits!

Sorry i was no more help than that!

3. Done much hopping though triple jump and falling down pits I'm saving for tomorrow.

4. I suggest you leave your lesson before the bell goes so you can get to your next lesson beforere you get flattened in the corridors when the bell goes. Well that's what the kids do so seems resonable for you to leave your lesson. What harm can they come to?

5. Where is it broken and how is it healing?

I broke my hip, it is bolted and pinned. I was walking with the aid of sticks after 24 hours, cycling after 2 weeks on a static bike and out on the road after 3 weeks. Back in school after 6 weeks.

If you can't walk a couple of miles, do some light gardening and some general housework, in my opinion, you aren't fit enough to be at work.

6. tibial plateau fracture, four long screws, non-weight bearing for the last 8 wks. It is known to be a long road with this type of fracture and I will still be fairly disabled when I return.

7. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Could have been worse - could have been my leg

8. I like your style. Difficult to make me laugh at the moment but you did it!

9. Oooch! Nasty break then!
    My only advice is listen to medical advice, get all the rehab you can and ignore any pleas from HoD to do more. Hobble pitifully for at least a month after you return, let others carry your bags, open doors etc.
    In other words, take it slowly and make sure you get 100% better before you go back to work as normal.

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

How did you come to break it?

11. You will obviously have a harder time than I did. Make sure you listen to doctors and physio, they will advise you on what you should and shouldn't do.

I started taking Glucosamine Sulphate soon after the injury. I was told there was a 50/50 chance that I would need a hip replacement within 2 years, that was 12 years ago. Don't know if the tablets did any good, but they certainly didn't do me any harm.

12. Hi, I'm in a similiar situation. I fractured my knee at the end of January and have been off work since. I am due to go back after the holidays although I still have a removable brace and am on crutches. I'm in Nursery this year so going back will be iinteresting. Some people talked about a staggered return to work and I'm planning to look into this. Good luck with your recovery. I'm sure you've heard it before but making sure you're 100% better is the most important thing.