1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broken down

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Hanbob, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have posted on workplace dilemas but haven't had any responses yet. I know I haven't left it very long but I am desperate. I dont know how to go on I cant stop crying and shaking and I just feel I can't keep up with the demands anymore. I see nothing but black infront of me and I can't see a way out I don't want to let the school down or the kids but I think i'm about to snap. I cant explain it I can't think straight and I am erratic. I dont see the point anymore everyone I talk to thinks I will be ok I'm good at hiding how I feel to my friends but feel like screaming I'm not ok and I feel like I cant go on one more day I cant sleep, eat and have developed chest pains. I just want someone to talk to I feel so alone and just dont know what the point is anymore. I know I'm not a perfect teacher but I really do try it is just never good enough and I feel like a failure. I don't know what I expect people to say to me I just want to be able to talk to someone.
    x

2. I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. I'm not a professional, but this sounds like depression. If that is the case, you MUST go and see your GP asap.
    Hopefully others on here can offer more constructive advice but please remember that depression is an illness and in that sense it can be treated. I have known many people in my life face bouts of depression and reach normality after a matter of weeks/months.
    Keep in touch, and keep talking.

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I am sorry to hear that you are so down - the symptoms you are describing sound very much like depression and I urge you to make an immediate appointment with your doctor to talk about how you feel - they will advise you further on the best course of action, which may be time off work, counselling, anti-depressants... The Teachers Support Network is also very good as it the Samaritans. You need to talk to someone now about how you feel - so please pick up the phone and call your doctor! And remember you are not alone - I, for one, have been in similar situations and found myself in A&E, which meant I got the support I needed when I needed it! I wish you all the best! xxx

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Just get to the doctors and take some rest - posted on Dilemnas for you in more depth

5. Thankyou so much for your responses I really just need someone to talk to but its not easy because my head is in such a muddle. I've taken today off as I couldn't stop crying. I have now been crying since 7.30am and I am sat all alone just lost in my own thoughts. I don't know how I can continue I cant see a way out its just too hard. I feel like my dream has been destroyed and I no longer have an identity who am I now and what can I do if I don't teach anymore. My friends have their own problems and I don't want to put myself on them. I'm not good at telling people how I feel face to face. Thankyou so much for replying I just need someone to talk to.
    xx

6. You <u>must</u> see your GP and you <u>must</u> phone in sick again for tomorrow. You should phone Teacher Support too.
    Take care and big hugs.

7. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

just to echo what others have said, go to the doctors, do not go into work and keep posting on here for support if that helps you.
    Take Care
    Rx

8. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

I'm really sorry to hear about this.The observation sounds cruel and totally arbitrary in its judgement. I hope, as has been suggested on another board, that there isn't a quota system for capability.It sounds contradictory: how can it have been both outstanding and unsatisfactory?

9. Hanbob, thank you for sharing how you feel. I do hope you will take everybody's advice here and go and see your GP as soon as you can. The demands of teaching ARE ludicrous indeed. You're not the first person to make herself ill trying to meet them and you won't be the last. Stop, for now, trying to get things done and focus on getting help. There IS a part of your identity that is not bound up with teaching. I know it seems hard to see that at the moment with the job being so all-consuming, but it's true. Look after yourself, get help, eat well, sleep as well as you can and keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.