1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broken clavicle - any experience or advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clawthorpegirl, Sep 19, 2020.

1. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

My teenage daughter broke her collarbone last Monday after school (running, tripped and landed in it)

Has anyone any tips or advice about how to help her feel more comfortable, especially when she’s in bed? Or remembers how long it was painful for with them or their children?

She has a wear a sling, apart from in bed, to keep the area still and stop her arm putting weight on it and we were told lots of pain relief so switching between paracetamol and ibuprofen. She’s in tears again this morning as it hurts so much

Wondering if I need to ring the fracture clinic, her appointment isn’t until 30.9 but wouldn’t be able to attend as her year group bubble closed, all sent home and self -isolating since Weds this week and though she wasn’t in school Tuesday or Weds she was on Monday,

Plus younger son started with a cough Weds evening, managed to get a test Thursday but still waiting for result, he’s still coughing but fine otherwise.

Phew what a week!

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was put in a figure of eight strapping. It ached. The shyte of a loosehead prop who landed on it told me next morning that he had heard it crack.

ETA I was strapped up in hospital.

nomad likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It was 50+ years ago and I am a bit lopsided. Maleficent broke hers many years ago and is a bit lop-sided. Takes the edge off a fabulous pair of shoulders.

nomad likes this.
  4. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Speak to your gp about pain relief. Its surprising how much you can take but only once you get proper advice.

5. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

I have cared for children with this, and it wasn't particularly painful for them. (after the initial 24 hours)She sounds very unlucky in that respect. I agree, ask for more pain relief. Poor girl :(

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Good advice here. There are stronger types of pain relief she can be offered. I hope she feels better soon.

7. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Gp pair relief is the way to go. Little daughter did this falling off a bed. She was back to normal in a very few days.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Make sure the sling is really lifting the arm, not just supporting it si that there is no weight on the clavicle.

9. clawthorpegirl

Thanks again, spoken to on call GP who said only way to get different pain relief is a trip to A&E and another x-ray then doctor due to her age.

Can’t persuade her to make trip to A&E at moment, she’s still traumatised from our 7 hour wait until 4am Tuesday.

I’m going to re- tie her sling a bit higher and then decide in a couple of hours.

Corvuscorax20 likes this.
  10. clawthorpegirl

Well, we’re back in A&E again!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  11. Corvuscorax20

good, I hope she gets some proper help x

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do you need provisions sent?

13. Corvuscorax20

14. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I fractured my clavicle on a mororbike in Thailand. It took about 6 weeks to heal.
    You need to check if the x ray shows the fracture is close enough to heal otherwise it needs a pin to keep them together while it heals.

15. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

I had a figure of eight strapping. It was in the summer of 1976. It was so hot.
    I remember it hurting quite a lot to initially. I think I slept propped up on pillows. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

racroesus likes this.
  16. clawthorpegirl

Home again, A&E deserted today so seen pretty fast, they didn’t want to do another x-ray as long as nothing poking out too much they just leave it to it. No stronger painkillers either. They thought she must have jolted it last night and it will settle again in next couple of days. Poor kid

McDonalds Drive through on way home cheered her up though!

I think we’ll try sleeping more propped up tonight - thanks again everyone.

colpee and Corvuscorax20 like this.
  17. Corvuscorax20

good luck, it may settle down, it has done in the few cases I have been involved with over the years

18. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I'm a bit late to comment, but someone I know broke their collar bone, didn't get sufficient medical treatment, and it set out of alignment. There's still this big bump in the bone where the break was.

So, get it looked at properly.

Clavicles are designed to break though, to prevent more serious damage from occurring to the body. In some ways it's a sign that things are working fine. (Perhaps not much consolation, but still...)

19. Cebarrett

Cebarrett New commenter

When I did mine (fell off my bike) I found sleeping with a cushion on my tummy with the injured arm resting on top the best. It seemed to make me more aware of the injured arm so I didn't do anything daft in my sleep.

20. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I found sleeping in bed a torture. So I got a quilt in the corner of the room between two chairs, a couple of soft pillows and slept in a sitting position. Yes I did wake a few times, but I found this the most comfortable.

What I would say to your daughter, try a few different positions, and go with what does not hurt. After about 2 weeks I actually made it back to bed. I also found taking arm out of sling and putting it in trouser pocket was useful, [but blokes trouser pockets are usually larger than female ones], I also used to put it between buttons of shirt, at different heights.

It will get better, but it seems that it is connected to everything in your body, a simple cough, well that canned, so I saved them all up, I knew it would hurt, but having one big cough seemed to me to be better than one big one. All the best. ps, mine took 8 weeks