1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

broken ankle and being off sick advice

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by kangaroo.poop, Jan 3, 2011.

1. so i have a broken ankle and just got out of hospital with pins and plates, i cant have a full cast until a weeks time and was due back on wed.
    i am going to ring the head and explain tommorrow and see whats to be done.
    obviously i need to get a sick note.
    will i get paid?
    later when i am not in pain will i be allowed to work?
    i work in nursery what are the odds of getting a transfer to ks1 or ks2 which would be more suitable for me at this time.
    basically i want to know what legal obligations there are etc?
    im not properly sick but cant really do the job properly at the mo.
    physcoloigically im still worried about new envirnments, even coming home was scary! so theres that to.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Your GP will give you a note to cover the time when you cannot work. I'd suggest contacting him/her tomorrow after the morning rush.

3. got the docs number ready for morning.
    dont know how im going to deal with 6 weeks off

4. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I have posted on the personal thread to you and said that I was in a similar position last year
    If you are signed unfit to work then you are not insured to be in school, so even if you can get into school and be pain free, the school may not be able to have you there.
    With sick pay, the amount of days you are entitled to full pay depends on how long you have worked for the school. I was in my second year and was entitled to 25 days full pay and then had to go onto half pay.
    I broke my wrist slipping on the ice and understand how scary it is to be out and about. I didn't leave the house until the snow and ice had almost gone completely and I found I was more confident having someone with me to offer support and towards the end of the 5 weeks I was brave enough to catch the bus to the fracture clinic alone. This winter's weather saw me breaking out in a cold sweat every time I had to walk somewhere where it was icy.
    I really do hope that you are on the mend soon, but don't rush to get back to work. You have to remember that the muscles, ligaments etc. also have to recover. I know it's frustrating to be stuck in home, but you need to give yourself time to get over it.

5. Check your PM's

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I can't imagine tackling the fire escape on crutches - it's bad enough on two feet in syurdy shoes!

7. Hello
    How have you recovered? I also broke well actually shattered my ankle in four places over Xmas, had surgery 3rd Jan, 2 plates and 14 pins later I have been off work for the whole term, I am due to start a phased return on Tuesday only half days. Due to incompetent technicians at the fracture clinic I am still on the dreaded sticks, but if I wait for pain free walking days it is not likely to happen. A little worried about going back, mainly for the tiredness, I went in for one day before easter and my leg was the size of a tree by the end of the day!! My doctors are still concerned that I cannot get mobility back in my ankle and having physio twice a week, but am glad to get back to work as my brain is going crazy.