1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broadstairs Area, Kent

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bo888, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am toying with relocating to the Broadstairs Area to be closer to my sister who lives a few miles down the coast.
    Does anyone have any serious advice about living in this area. I will be looking for Primary jobs, have seen a couple in Ramsgate.
    Any advice would be appreciated , schools, areas to avoid etc.
    Thanks

2. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Ask your sister

3. She doesn't know that much about areas other than her own town, she has a newborn baby and has only recently moved there from London. She has no knowledge of the schools whatsoever. Also I don't want to ask her until I am sure I want to relocate.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Whyever not?

5. A mate of mine owns a holiday let in that area, (and so I occasionally get a freebie hol there!) so I can only go on limited experience. Some areas are considered 'rough' but it depends on your definition of rough!
    I think it is an interesting place.
    If I were you, I'd just google all the schools, and see what the Ofsted reports say.
    (I HATE ofsted, but I suppose they have their uses if you read between the lines!)

6. I wouldn't bother...

If you did relocate to Kent (Incidentally the LEA is dire) I certainly wouldn't wish to teach in coastal school, nor anywhere save perhaps West Kent....London is actually preferable t the est of my knowledge....

7. Thanks coalwoman and Miss P.
    I have checked out Ofsted too, it's the first thing I did, if that is a help or not, I'm not sure ;) I don't mind working in a 'rough' school, can't be any 'rougher' than my current place, which I actually much prefer to 'leafy lane' types ! I would like to live somewhere less 'rough', somewhere that I would feel safe walking the dog etc. Interesting what you say about the LEA. Thanks. If anyone has any further info I would really appreciate it.

8. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

9. doomzebra

The single largest source of household income on Planet Thanet is through fostering (true stat as of a couple of years ago - no recent data). Do not be fooled by the genteel retirement home feel of certain areas, it is a region of extreme economic deprivation and most of teh schools can comfortably fall into the 'rough' category. let us not forget that a certain high-profile academy was notorious a couple of years back of having a higher percentage of pregnancies than 5 A*-C amongst its Year 11s.
    Still, educating children so that they have a shot at putting lettuces into plastic boxes might appeal to some.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I like living in my rough coastal town in Kent. I enjoy working in our 'rough' school. I like to think that some of the children at my Primary may have a better future because of the work we do. Picking lettuce is better than picking pockets.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thats you off my Christmas card list Miss (or is it Eid Mubarak list)

12. Eid - but I won't lose any sleep!!!! [​IMG]

13. I have only really visited Whitstable and Deal. so was just hoping for some advice from those in the know ! Have been googling all day ! I think I'll just apply for a couple of jobs and see what happens.... in the meantime if anyone does know the area, and has anything to add I would be grateful. Thanks for the info so far !

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The beaches are lovely. Botany bay got into the top ten beaches in England list. If you like surfing or bodyboarding there are a couple of beaches that get some waves. I drive 40 mins to get to them.

15. Botany Bay does look fab, and I have heard good things about it from a friend. Thanks, it's nice to hear something positive.

16. doomzebra

There are a great many attractive and interesting aspects to the area, but visiting for leisure purposes and relocating for employment purposes require very different perspectives

17. You are right, and I really appreciate everything that has been said,

18. doomzebra

I am not (really I'm not) trying to put you off - just urging you to take a realistic look. It is too easy to be seduced by the appearance of the region (I am a resident and love living here) but I teach elsewhere.
    There ARE some very good schools, but equally there are schools that are the equal of the worst inner-city sinks (my experience is of secondary, admittedly, but know of the primary feeder schools).
    Take time (if you have that luxury), read the reports, visit the area and very good luck

19. it's difficult to tell from Ofsted reports sometimes. I am not afraid of working in an 'inner city' type of school, I work in one now and it does have a lot of plusses. However I am scared of working for a head teacher with no people skills, have worked for one of them previously too! I am ready for a change and have been thinking about moving closer to my family whilst I am in the process of some life changes. Obviously the romantic idea of living by the sea has crossed my mind, bit I am in realistic, and know a bit about the'cons' of the area, just from spending some time there. I seem to spend the majority of my time stuck at Dartford crossing in a traffic jam lately, I couldn't really live much further away from them as I am now. The main pull for me is to be closer to my family. I really am worried about moving to a LA that i don't know anything about though.
    Thanks again, for all the comments.

20. Seriously think about it....
    Kent LEA is continuously failing in education and according to news this morning now being investigated for ALWAYS having KS2 results way below national average.
    From friends this is the general consensus:

MANY of the schools are basically inner city schools run by teachers that are pitted against one another, without the team work ethos, reosurcing and understanding found in innercity schools...
    Most of the HTs appear to not have a clue what they are doing - flitting between initiatives and not really having much back bone....
    Apparently nepotism is rife...
    Oh and then look at the areas you will live - youth crime is quite prevalent. Crime in general:
    Other crime 27
    Do a comparison with where you live...