1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Broadband. What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by autismuk, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Ditto for BT.
    They used to lie that they did not cap speeds at peak hours, despite the fact that you could physically watch it.
    On one occasion I was transferred from customer support 'we do not cap speeds' to technical support 'yes we do cap speeds'. Unable to even lie consistently.

2. I've been on Plusnet for about 5 years and have no problems. The £6.50 deal comes with a bandwidth limit but I haven't swapped to it as I like the unlimited bandwidth on the existing account.

In 5 years, I've had two drop outs due to failures further up the line (BT) and have called support several times including between 3 and 6 am. During daylight hours, it can take a while on hold before it gets answered but at 3 am the phone went up in less than 1 ring and the fella sounded alert. The techie staff generally know their stuff.

3. Totally80s

Totally80s New commenter

PlusNet : simple, straightforward and never any problems.

4. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

Consider ditching BT and signup with Primustel. It's a BT wholesale line operated by another company. Evening and weekend - free calls for less than a tenner a month. Then use PlusNet for broadband at £6.49/month. If signing up with PlusNet, don't forget to mention that clickshool recommended you [​IMG]

5. Thanks guys.
    Plusnet seems to be the winning horse at the moment. I have never had broadband before so it is good to get some recommendations and some sound advice.
    I'm on the dole at the moment so need something affordable and reliable.

6. O2 and Be There are my prime ADSL chocies.If you can get cable, Virgin Media is really good.

7. A second for O2, fantastic service and they do not cap speeds at peak times.

8. Zen Internet.
    They consistently win the "Best ISP Provider" awards year after year.