1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brno?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by teach1926, Jun 25, 2020.

1. teach1926

teach1926 New commenter

Any thoughts on schools, living conditions, response to COVID in Czechia? Looking for a 2021 start and keen to hear from anyone who know anything about the international school

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

teach1926 likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I know Brno a bit. I have been there four or five times. It is a lot cheaper than Prague, of course, but it does have its charms.

teach1926 likes this.
  4. teach1926

teach1926 New commenter

5. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

The big black clock there is stunning. Good beer too!
    The school is a bit stretched for budget and salaries are meh though.

teach1926 likes this.
  6. teach1926

teach1926 New commenter

Thanks @mitochodria1 - I guess there's no allowance for accommodation then? I know salary would be low but was hoping it was good enough with a low cost of living

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Sorry, I know nothing about Brno.

8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

Salary is the biggest drawback. Net pay less than 2000 euro a month. Even Prague is only very slightly more. It is twice the local average but you won't be having much left after bills and monthly living costs.
    It's ok these places saying they are less than the UK or beer is cheap but that is no compensation for having a decent wage that you can live save and maybe go on holiday with.

9. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

It really depends what you want...
    On that salary you will live ok by local standards (that is to say your life will be very similar to your life in the UK, but in a different country (i.e. counting your pennies and making decisions). If you don't have financial commitments in the UK then it could be an interesting time if you like the place, otherwise there is more money to be made in other countries.

Personally I'd give my left nut to return to Prague, but not with the low salaries they offer in the schools here. There is no housing allowance...it's all on you.