1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Britsh Values and Mathematics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ljfletch, Oct 25, 2019.

1. ljfletch

ljfletch New commenter

Morning all

My company has recently changed their observation criteria to match with the new OFSTED guidelines and there is a heavy influence on all areas on embedding Health&Safety, Equality&Diversity, Safeguarding, British Values and Prevent in every session.

Does anyone have any suggestions from a Maths point of view on how to ensure that this criteria is met every lesson?

I can see the way to embed this into lessons such as ratio, FDP and the statistics part of the course however, I am really struggling for ideas when looking at lessons such as the different types of numbers and Nth Term.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

diversity - types of numbers - origins Arabic, Babylonian, Greek, Roman etc

(PS...every lesson across the school? all of those criteria? !!)

3. ljfletch

ljfletch New commenter

That's a great idea for types of number and yes it has to be seen in every session every day!

4. bramblesarah

bramblesarah New commenter

That ridiculous, maybe you could use Singapore maths (mainly joking). What if you are teaching expanding brackets for four lessons straight to bottom set? Could you maybe use 'ethically diverse' names and situations in worded questions? Or maybe you could do a starter in every lesson which includes all of those things but isn't necessarily related to the main lesson, even though that isn't really embedding it. Honestly I personally just wouldn't do it. This is exactly what Ofsted don't want which is increased workload for teachers. At my old school they wanted us to embed literacy is every lesson including Maths and P.E. we did it by getting maths dictionaries and getting them to look up let words at the beginning of a lesson.

5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

You could start every lesson by telling them not to stab each other with their compass points.

Surely this can't be serious.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

This is rubbish. You don't need to do this every lesson, or even for every topic. You are being lied to. Ofsted do not want to see any of this nonsense. Follow
    @Chris_Ofsted
    @amanda_spielman
    @Ofstednews
    on Twitter to find out more about common myths.

7. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

In Maths it's just going to be one off lessons for this sort of thing.

There's Egyptian Fractions, Aztec/Roman number systems, Vedic Square/Rangoli Art, Constructing Stained Glass Windows/Mosque Patterns...

Then there's making sure that 10% of names in Math problems are non Christian and 50% male/female split.

If you want to use Maths to stop terrorism, maybe a stats lesson could look at that but I wouldn't be touching that with a bargepole without specific training.

8. Alexdiver

Alexdiver New commenter

Stop ticking boxes

9. swampyjo

swampyjo New commenter

Madness!!!

10. Mr_Mathematics

Mr_Mathematics New commenter

I wouldn’t worry about what inspectors may or may not want to see or someone else’s interpretation of that.

Just teach good lessons where the students are challenged with engaging problems.

11. jonwood_uk

jonwood_uk New commenter

The fact the OP starts with my company sums everything that is wrong in education up.

gainly likes this.
  12. AVDBA

AVDBA New commenter

I think there exists place for teaching specific math subject that encapsulates these subjects. Concepts related to maximum, minimum, invariant, equilibrium, encapsulation (enveloping) - examples that can be explored within this context by proposed problems. An example related to the quadratic function is the encapsulating parabolic curve exploring ballistics, defining a secure region.