1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Britishness: What do you and the children you teach think it means?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 29, 2016.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I ask this question because the most popular of my poems describes Britishness as I saw it in perhaps the 1950s, ie cricket on the village green, men with stiff upper lips, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, teashops with their scones and tea; breakfast with a cup of tea, cereal or toast and so on. I think this poem may be quite a challenging poem for the British children of today and probably bears no resemblance to how they live now. So what do you all think? I also say:

British folk are known by everyone
    To be tolerant and fair
    But they’ll quickly rise in combat,
    So you foreigners, take care!!

But I'm sure that this poem is so popular because it could be quite contrary to the Britain of today and children may be the first to rise up and disagree, ha ha I'll put it on here for you to freely try with your children, but I'd love to have some feedback. Any other subjects you need covering in poetry, please let me know. I want to be useful in my old age!!:)