1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British wedding cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Did anyone else watch this on BBC2 last night? It was really interesting, the finalists from the Great British Bake-off had to make 2 cakes, however I was very disappointed they used roll-out icing for the traditional one, but I suppose in the time allottedRoyal icing would not have dried sufficiently to allow the layers to be done.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Did nobody else watch this then?

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I caught a little bit of it, but didn't realise it would involve much proper baking, and thought it would mainly be Paul Hollywood yapping on about the history of the wedding cake - as he irritates us both intensely, we didn't watch it. Might try it on iplayer, but foresee making the most of this amazing weather today - maybe if it rains over the weekend!

4. I did watch it and was just disappointed that they seem to have lost a lot of flair! I have made similar cakes in the past and I am not a great cake decorator!
    I too would buy royal icing, I can make it, my nan made it for Jacob's when they did posh cakes by hand. It is a pig to make perfectly when your hands are knackered, it gets so stiff. I was HORRIFIED by the way they treated the icing, I didn't need the voice over to tell me they would have difficulty getting it on the cakes without it splitting!
    I gave myself permission to buy the stuff years ago - I don't miss not having to hold my breath whilst a pound and a half of icing sugar gets wet!!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

To be honest, they had very little time, 16 hours for the traditional cake and 5 for the modern wasn't it? I thought Ruth's cake with those roses was beautiful but was unimpressed with the lemon meringue one.

6. I thought they would have had loads of thinking time.... . I was just a bit, fneurgh!

I loved Ruth's roses and I loved the idea of the lemon merigue cake, but wasn't convinced by the look of it!
    Ed's macaron cake made me smile. Their closeup included one that had slipped and left a trail!

7. Dead easy to make, a quick Google will give you lots of similar recipes - it is an old standard sponge cake. You will be able to find a few different ways to add the lemon and chocolate flavours too!
    Google images have a lot of piccies, so you can see one!
    Have fun!

8. Thank you! Am going to have to experiment and practice beforehand. Will try and post pictures when I've done the trial run!

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Both wrong, a Genoese sponge is liked the fatless sponge recipe but with melted butter folded in with the flour. It keeps and handles better than a fatless sponge or a creamed sponge mixture.

This is identical to the recipe I make, when teaching a whisked sponge recipe on teaching practice, I told the class to whisk the eggs and sugar together until you can write a four letter word on top, believe me, they did!!
    This recipe will freeze well, so I suggest you cut it in half or 3 and fill with buttercream before freezing.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/514147

10. Sorry lapin, I'm not wrong am I? It is an old standard recipe, 19th Century, and you can find lots of recipes including lemon ones and chocolatey ones - I checked!
    And it is dead easy to make! And Google images do have piccies of genoese cakes!
    Where did I go wrong? [​IMG]

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The old standard cake is usually the creamed mixture, sometimes called Victoria sandwich or victoria sponge. I learnt this Genoese sponge recipe when I did the C&G 778 Advanced cookery, so don't think an exam board would be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9noise_cake
    It's a terrific recipe as it's low fat and easy to use, it holds together well. I use it for all cakes that need a sponge base and for petitis fours.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Chocolate is easily made by removing a tablespoon of flour and adding a tablespoon of cocoa, lemon, add the grated rind of a lemon or two for a bigger cake.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say Pobs, it's an old recipe yes, but comes from Genoa. The usual recipe is just plain and variations can be made. Point of Order Miss, it's not a Genoese cake, it's a Genoese sponge!!

13. And am I guessing that with it being all nice and soft you can eat it?? [​IMG]

I
    have a recipe for it in my Olde England Booke (I have no idea what it is
    really called, it has never been known to have a cover)... says it's a
    French patissier's cake named after Genoa... recipe is dated 1880
    something! That's why I thought it was an old standard, most cake recipes as we use them are a similar age, cos that's when bicarbonate of soda was invented!
    I've never used the creaming method with it, like you say that's a Vicky sponge, different beast!
    I think we've been discussing the same thing from different perspectives. Always fun!

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No raising agent in a Genoese, just the air beaten in to the eggs, similarly with a whisked sponge and Victoria Sandwich, they all relied on a lot of air being beaten into the mixture. I don't know how old the methods are but will try to find out.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

16. Ah ha! I see what is happening. I am not using enough full stops and you are connecting every bit of my posts to every other bit!
    I just meant that the recipes we use now all come from around the same time.
    Before that most cakes were yeast based, one of the earliest ones is pao de castela - bread from Castile - it's a bit like a Madeira cake but pao de lo, a Portugese cake that is very, very eggy, is its nearest relative - you'd like that one, the whole recipe is dependent on the weight of the eggs. Ifound it when trying to find a way of using all the eggs my chickens are laying.
    The first cakes that we would recognise come from the mid 17th century - with sugar becoming available and when some bright spark invented cake hoops (I don't see how the batter didn't leak all over the oven!)
    Then 100 years later, bicarb was invented and cakes as we use them today were invented!

Sorry, I didn't mean to bore, food history is one my things!

17. http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcakes.html
    It's also American, but I have used it to track down some of the books (the Canadian Library has free pdfs of some).

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, I love food history too, the kids in Food classes at school were fascinated when I explained the reason behind things with a bit of history and the foreign students love it as well.

19. I'd probably have loved your classes as a kid. I had a fervently religious spinster for cookery.
    In the 1970s, surrounded by kids living in council houses that had only had kitchen and downstairs indoor bathrooms for about 10 -15 years, she gave us a 30 minute harangue about cleanliness being next to godliness. Apparently if you didn't have a 20 minute shower every morning and evening, baths were so unclean, you were not only dirty but damned!
    I have never forgotten her.... and I am surprised I still love cooking - she was always nasty about my baking too, despite the finished articles always being goody'uns.

Still, this has reminded me I have 2 old cookery books to read, I'm only half way through the Good Wife's Guide!