1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Values

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/can-we-tell-students-british-values-still-exist

With the complete shambles that is our current government, the proroguing of parliament stifling the democratic process, the evasion of the government who refuse to put up ministers to account for themselves and their policies and the squirming of politicians when confronted with previous things they are on record as saying but now doing the complete opposite, are our 'British Values' anything other than humbug?

2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I never have believed there is any such thing as "British Values". I think some British people share certain moral precepts but it is hard to think they are shared by the majority. People who bang on about "British Values" are often trying to score a political point.

Shedman and lanokia like this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

But you have to write about them on every lesson plan, and put them on the board, so they must be real:) I am so glad they didn't 'exist' back in the days when I taught Philosophy...

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Twenty-five years ago a governor of a 'British' school in Latin America said to me 'What we want is British values. Not the messy ones you Brits have now, but the ones you used to have'.

towncryer and Shedman like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

"British values" based in the Victorian era, were exploitation, theft, extortion, slavery, no social responsibility, misogyny, racism, murder ... should I go on? They haven't changed their colours,just currently being a bit more blatant about it.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You forgot colonialism

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Churchill once scoffed at talk of 'Naval tradition' as nothing but 'Rum, sodomy and the lash'.

We need someone of equal candour today to do the same for British 'values'.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Am I teaching the right British values?
    1. "Serve the public trust"
    2. "Protect the innocent"
    3. "Uphold the law"

irs1054, Shedman and blue451 like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You are... thank you for your co-operation.

Don't mention the fourth.

Shedman likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah no other country ever did any of them... god aren't we terrible.

And so many people alive were complicit.

Shedman and Oscillatingass like this.
  11. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

monicabilongame and Shedman like this.
  12. Oscillatingass

We British are quite simply the lowest of the low and we should continue to apologize for the wrongs of our ancestors for ever more.

Aquamarina1234 and Shedman like this.
  13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No. We should acknowledge them, recognise them when they start emerging in the behaviour of our people and politicians, and do our damnedest not to repeat them.

14. Oscillatingass

Not really sure what this means. What do you think is emerging? Is there a covert plan to re-introduce slavery, invade India or annexe Rhodesia?

Shedman likes this.
  15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE="Oscillatingass, we should continue to apologize for the wrongs of our ancestors for ever more.[/QUOTE]

Apologising for historical wrongs is a free ride on a fashionable bandwagon. One of my ancestors owned slaves. Another bombarded the Russians at Sebastopol. For me to apologise for great x 4 granddad Alexander's slave ownership is as illogical as if I were to turn up on Remembrance Day wearing great x 2 granddad William's Crimea Medal.

16. Oscillatingass

Apologising for historical wrongs is a free ride on a fashionable bandwagon. One of my ancestors owned slaves. Another bombarded the Russians at Sebastopol. For me to apologise for great x 4 granddad Alexander's slave ownership is as illogical as if I were to turn up on Remembrance Day wearing great x 2 granddad William's Crimea Medal.[/QUOTE]

Quite correct.

Shedman likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But strange that folks are so keen to acknowledge our wrongs... but seem either blind or blinkered to our rights...

So they'll harp on and on about slavery but seem reluctant to acknowledge the pivotal ground breaking crucial role the UK played in ending slavery on a global level...

Almost like they are using historic wrongs in a selective sense to score points today.

So there was great noise made about British wrongs in India and the partition of India... but ask a Pakistani to acknowledge their genocide in Bangladesh 1971... oh boy... or a Turk to acknowledge the Armenian genocide... the first defining genocide... oh boy...

And people make out we are fascist or Churchill was fascist... when we did more than any nation bar the USSR* in defeating fascism.

* and they spent two years on the fascist side.

18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Apologising is a British Value. Using the right type of sorry is important though
    upload_2019-9-1_15-36-26.png

19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

None of my ancestors appear to have owned anything. No slaves, land or anything. They were mostly Kentish and West Country agricultural workers before they ended up working on the River Thames and London docks. I don't see a problem with recognising and contextualising the historical flaws of our Imperial past, but as my own ancestors were probably ruthlessly exploited So I don't feel any guilt and don't see the need to apologise to anyone, anywhere in the world for the former actions of Britain and its Commercial Enterprises.
    Then there are my Irish ancestors.............

20. burajda

burajda Star commenter

They were never on the democratic side and still aren't.

Shedman and Oscillatingass like this.