1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Values

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Toomuchtooyoung, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

How do people accommodate parents who for religious beliefs strictly forbid their children joining in particular celebrations? It’s not just all things Christmas, a colleague has a family at school who don’t allow make believe characters, witches - no meg and mog or worst witch. I once saw a Christmas play where a Jehova Witness child had to whipped off stage when the word Christmas was mentioned. I’m uncomfortable excluding children from any cultural activity be it Christmas grotto, or a visit to a Mosque or Synagogue.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Parents have the right to withdraw their child from religious education if they wish. You simply have to accommodate the child elsewhere.

3. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Just not in the manger!

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I was invited into Keighley Library to recite some Christmas poems to children and their parents at one time. I took in my poem: 'The Best Donkey of Them All' which is the story of the small donkey who carried Mary to Bethlehem. When I entered the library I saw that it was packed with children who all looked as if they'd arrived from India or Pakistan - and of course if you go to Keighley you'll see more Indian faces than English. 'Oh heck' I thought: 'They probably don't know about the Christian Christmas story. Wrong assumption. Every one of them knew a great deal about the story and were keen to tell me well before I asked them. It seems that Muslim children are taught a lot about Christianity - so why are people not wanting their children to take part in Christmas events? So don't feel concerned about using THAT poem!!!

5. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Just to say, this is not meant to be a political post. I have never had any families of the major religions object to learning about each other and joining in their celebrations. I just wonder where the boundary is in regards to British Values and promoting tolerance, when a child is not allowed to take part, be in the same room or even kept off because of particular celebrations,