1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Values?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Tom_Pubes, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Tom_Pubes

Tom_Pubes Senior commenter

This one is pure comedy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...meron-calls-country-loyal-British-values.html

When you stop sucking up to the EU, Dave, then maybe we can slow down migration, which, in turn slows down the influx of extremists. You invite tens of thousands from a very foreign culture and lifestyle to reside in the UK, at the cost of the taxpayer, then foist them on unsuspecting communities, where their cultural and religious values are catered for whatever the cost, and then you're suddenly bothered about British values!!! You are truly insane, Mr Cameron!

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Physician! Heal thyself!

3. Ghost-of-Christmas-Past

Ghost-of-Christmas-Past Established commenter

Yes doctor;)

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. Ghost-of-Christmas-Past

Ghost-of-Christmas-Past Established commenter

6. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

The choice on extremism was whether to "appease the extremists or take apart their ideology, piece by piece"
    "We will come down hard on those who create the conditions for that narrative to flourish"

Perhaps Mr Cameron needs to start by coming down hard on the House of Saud and all the other Middle East despots that our government brown nose, fund and arm.

British Values of Tolerance, Freedom and Respect? Not when it comes to who Britain supports and encourages to oppress their people abroad eh Dave?

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I do wish politicians (and everyone else) would define what "British Values" are when speaking about them

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

How about:

One set of laws equally applied for the benefit/security of ALL citizens/legal residents, no exceptions and no special arrangements pandering to ethnic minority religions.
    Just to get started:)

9. Didactylos4

Well if you expanded that to all religions and belief/unbelief systems I might agree that it is a starting point
    But only just

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

ooooh, possible, maybe, perhaps tentative!!! Careful what you say now.

11. Didactylos4

I can live with that bit

12. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

The difficulty is that the implication with the term 'British values' is perhaps the unspoken suggestion that only the British would have them, which isn't accurate and is also potentially insulting.

However, if we could steer away from that suggestion and simply have it in the context of something that happens in Britain, that might be a start.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

True and I do not particularly care if sensitive souls are offended, they can live somewhere else because in GB you are always free to leave:)
    Like rain? Bland and PC boring.

14. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I was thinking more in terms of equality before the law, tolerance to others, courtesy and fussiness about queuing ;)

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If speaking the truth offends someone then perhaps they should not enter into such a dialogue. Tolerance is something else IMO.

16. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Why do people keep posting on these threads?

Ignore them and they will go away.

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

These are the British/Victorin values:
    1. Do what you want but don't get caught.
    2. Cheat, steal, lie, take bungs, and teach the colonials how to do it. (Hence ex-colonies riddled with corruption).
    3. Expect everyone to respect your Britshness, without earning any respect.
    4. Extort what you can without paying any tax (see No 1)
    5. Ignore anyone who is not worth extorting.
    6. Be racist, sexist, mysogynist etc (see No 1 above)
    etc..

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Strange Jacob they are not my values and you do your country no favour to post them as values. If you said that some see them as values I might agree...But i find it hard to define British values except from a personal point of view.Even the goverment cant give a distinctive list of values.despite them wantinus to teach them.
    they give general more to do with caring
    According to Ofsted, 'fundamental British values' are:
    • democracy
    • the rule of law
    • individual liberty
    • mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

They might be the ones the thought police want you to teach, but historically the ones I posted are what supposedly made Britain "Great".

20. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter