1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Values teaching ideas???

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Blue_dime, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

Looking to deliver a short one off lesson for SLD students around the theme of British Values - any ideas???

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

What levels are they? What kind of needs? Are they verbal? What age?

I don't think I have done anything specific around British values (isn't it supposed to be holistic?) but for my student teacher evidence folder last year I put examples of choosing time (being democratic, most votes counted), art work from different religious festivals and something around not bullying/discriminating each other.

3. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

They are Key Stage 3/4 and classed as SLD but range from P5 to L2C - it's for an interview. Not sure if they are verbal as yet - waiting for more info

4. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

I would like to do something around the theme that we are all different but important i.e. a building block and then get them to make choices about what to put on their building block to create a collaborative visual display but not sure what the choices could be - also aware I only have 20 minutes!!

5. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

That's quite a high level (I teach KS3 and my highest level is P7).
    In my old school, mainstream, we did an activity around "different but the same" at the beginning of the year where everybody got a template with an outline of a person. Then everyone had to draw what they looked like (eye colour, hair colour, kinds of clothes they liked to wear) and then they wrote down what was really important to them.
    At the end we talked about it and found that almost everybody out their family, friends, pets as their most important things.
    20 minutes should be just about doable although it's tight!

For your idea... Perhaps magazines where they could cut pictures out (not sure about their cutting skills) or pieces of paper/materials/glitter and together create an art work? You will definitely also be able to bring some democracy in coz you might find students wanting to play boss.
    You could also do this in smaller groups where 1 is given a selection of magazine cuttings, 1 with textile, with glue, 1 with glitter and 1 with markers and together they have to create something. That will show that even if you are "only" glue, you are very important because without you there is no glitter.

6. Blue_dime

Blue_dime New commenter

It's a massive spread of ability isn't it!! Thanks for the ideas!