1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Values in your school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cakeycake, Jan 4, 2018.

1. cakeycake

cakeycake New commenter

Hi,
    I'm wanting to raise the profile of British/Democratic Values in my school. Last year British Values had a good profile, we visited Parliament and had an MP visit. Are there any ideas out there?
    Thanks!

2. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

Philosophy for children is a great way to discuss values. From “is it ok to steal” I have had 10 year old children get to “medicine can’t be free otherwise there would be no incentive to produce it”. Real deep though and best of all, Little planning!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We used a design from online somewhere which was 'what do we value' on a union jack background and split into four sections. We worked as a staff to type in how we meet each of the four values. Later in the year, classes will do something similar. Then we display the final poster.

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Do you have a school council where each class votes for a class member to represent them? Prospective school councillors have to do a presentation to the class and say what they would do and why they should be voted for. The councillors bring their class’ ideas of how to improve things in the school/what playground equipment to purchase/what charity to raise money for etc.
    It can be a small-scale but tangible example of democracy.

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We make sure that the word British is put on out menus. We don't eat chicken, we eat British chicken.

Very important stuff.

6. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

We always listen to the not-at-all-unrealistic requests from the school council e.g. in-house mcdonalds, longer playtimes, bouncy castle on the field etc.

And then, just like our politicians, come up with very creative excuses as to why they can’t have them. British democracy at its finest!

On a serious note, I think we might have a display up somewhere.

7. jwocka

jwocka New commenter

Just wondering how do people promote British institutions and services through FBV?

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

We got a poster of red post box and a black cab. Job done.

Vince_Ulam, Marshall and Grandsire like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is an incredible idea. I'm going to start drafting the finance proposal tonight...

10. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I agree regarding P4C really valuable long term tool for building thinking skills

11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Utterly depressing that such young children already see financial incentive as the only worthwhile motivation. Public investment could and should pay for development of medicine. There is still a financial award for those who develop it even when its free at point of use.

12. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

It costs 2.6billion dollars to develop one drug for market.
    https://cen.acs.org/articles/92/web/2014/11/Tufts-Study-Finds-Big-Rise.html

47 new drugs were approved last year. 122 billion dollars per year is not a small amount. That’s before you factor in technology advances and background costs of the drugs that do not make the market.

The idea that the public purse could pay for this, and still keep the same level of service, is a bit far fetched.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

But we do pay for it, in the end, either with taxes or as private patients.
    How much of the.money we pay ends up as profit for private business and shareholders? We are being fleeced by the pharmaceutical companies.

14. robertpokorny

robertpokorny New commenter