1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British trained teacher teaching in Spanish state school?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by eppierose, Nov 12, 2017.

1. eppierose

eppierose New commenter

Hi my husband and I want to move to Spain but the likelihood of us both getting teaching jobs in the same area in international schools is small. I am a fluent Spanish speaker as I grew up there and a qualified maths teacher. Does anyone work in a Spanish state school or have experience of translating qualifications etc? I went to an international school so my own experience isn't mush use.
    Thanks in advance!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Why do you think your chances of teaching at the same school are slim? You may want to read the many many many threads on this forum about the state of Spanish schools to see that it is complete possible, and the many reasons why so many jobs pop up there every year to see why this is possible.

Best of luck...make damn sure you do your homework on the school

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Again, I must disagree with dumbells66. It is almost impossible for an English-trained teacher to get a job in a Spanish state school. To do so, you first have to get your degree consolidated which isn't that hard, but you then have to take the dreaded oposiciones exams which qualified Spanish teachers sometimes have to retake time after time because they seem to be designed specifically to fail candidates!
    Why do you say that jobs in international schools are "unlikely"? I think you stand a much better chance there than in state schools. You do have to be careful in your choice, though, as the recent case in the South referred to on this forum confirms once again...

4. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

I have a Spanish friend from Madrid who has fluent English. He has taken the oposiciones so many times but gets put on a long list short list. He may be number 13, number 33 and so on on the list. The closest he got to getting a position in a Spanish state school was in a far place in the country away from Madrid back in 2009 on an emergency cover temporary basis. When that was over the whole process started again. He said the school had a lot of issues with attendance and travelling children with no Spanish or English and no provision to deal with it. It is a horrendous system locked in a country with continued relatively high unemployment.

miketribe likes this.
  5. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

When I first came to spain I imagined that I might go for the oposiciones and move to state education. Once I realised that I could put myself through all that and then end up getting sent to a school in the back of beyond, miles from where I wanted to be, I went off the idea.
    Stick to international/british schools or get your qualifications convalidated and then look at concertados (midway between private and public).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    miketribe likes this.
  6. miketribe

Well, that's three of us who reckon it's pretty near impossible and not really advisable... However, there are lots and lots of international/British schools here, and also an increasing number of private "bi-lingual" schools of varying quality. Maybe a visit to the areas you're interested in and some school visits would help...

7. eppierose

eppierose New commenter

Thanks all for the info
    Yes, it does now seem that the state system is a no. I wonder why you can't choose the school?
    I know the salaries are poor in international schools. There is a vacancy in murcia at the moment at el limonar but the drop is hard to take. Do British schools maintain pay levels?
    I will have a look at concertados, thanks for the tip.

8. lunarita

It's a kind of ranking based on results. You kind of work your way up, I think, over the course of a few years you can work your way closer to where you want to be. Just not worth it for me, I'm happy where I am.

9. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

It's a bit early for Spanish schools to be advertising I think. February onwards there will probably be lots. Right now it's probably schools needing somebody quick as a member of staff has left/signed off on long term sick leave unexpectedly, or the number of students on roll has exceeded expectations, so they need a teacher fast.

I'll echo what others have said - the school my wife and I are at have bent over backwards to find a role for her. They've been brilliant.

Good luck.

10. lunarita

Remember that in Spain teachers are allowed by law to give one month notice so it is indeed fairly normal to see jobs being advertised very late in the summer term and even into the summer holidays.

Also bear in mind that Spain has a legally establised salary scale for teachers which tells you the minimum a school can pay you - though some schools will offer you more than this. Worth mentioning because there's a school in the place where the oranges come from, advertising now, and offering quite a bit below this minimum.

11. eppierose

eppierose New commenter

Does this just apply to state schools or also to international?

12. miketribe

State schools and private schools each have their own "convenio estate" which sets legally-binding minimum conditions of work, including salaries. Most international schools ày somewhat over this legal minimum, but, as lunarita says, there are exceptions...

13. lunarita

To clarify, there are separate scales for state schools and private schools, but International schools ARE covered by the private one.

14. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

I've sent you a message/started a conversation.