1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

British teacher with green card wanting to teach in New York

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Asta9, Jul 9, 2018.

  1. Asta9

    Asta9 New commenter

    I recently won the green card lottery, via my foreign husband. I have been teaching English in secondary schools for 10 years and will be HOD from September. I'm looking to move to New York/New Jersey in summer 2019, with my husband and primary-age son. I've just started looking into how this might work, and would appreciate any advice, especially from those who work or have worked in America. For example, I assume I could only work in a private school, right?
  2. PuRe

    PuRe Occasional commenter

    Private & charted I believe, you could convert your teaching certificate after doing some tests etc I believe google it.
  3. englishdragon

    englishdragon Occasional commenter

    @PuRe..........yes yes yes.....the mysterious fount of all knowledge, Professor Google, does hold a lot of relevant and up to date information........AMEN!
  4. englishdragon

    englishdragon Occasional commenter

  5. VS400

    VS400 New commenter

    Have you got your green card yet or is it processing? My parents applied for theirs (through his work with a very good immigration lawyer) a year ago and are still waiting for it. There was a recent change in the rules that means everyone must attend an interview.
  6. dave12hughes

    dave12hughes New commenter

    Green Card = Citizenship, right? If so then you can work wherever you want, providing you are qualified. A PGCE, B Ed or higher would get you licensed in any state.
  7. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Lead commenter

    'A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants a person a permanent resident card, commonly called a Green Card.'

    Citizenship takes longer. My son is about to achieve that status after around five years in the USA.

Share This Page