1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

British Schools Overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kiwitaff, Sep 9, 2015.

  1. When my school was deciding wether to go down the BSO inspection route we were told that the DfE were considering giving all British teachers in accredited BSO schools recognition by allowing them to continue paying into their UK teachers pension and also giving their children automatic home status for university, does anyone know if anything ever came of this idea?
  2. 576

    576 Established commenter

    I have no idea, however, as a teacher at an accredited BSO I am very interested in this so I've emailed DfE to ask them.
  3. Thanks 567, look forward to hearing what they have to say.
  4. Syria1

    Syria1 New commenter

    We're a BSO school and have heard nothing at all about this. I'd be very interested to see whether this is a genuine item.
  5. Syria 1, not sure if there was ever any truth in it, It could have possibly been said to sell the idea of an inspection to the staff!
  6. gafleecey

    gafleecey New commenter

    I am sorry but this sounds like an absolute crock. Teachers Pensions contributions are not possible if you are overseas.

    Here is what is needed for home status:

    Are you eligible for home fee status?

    [*]Are you a British or EU national &ndash; are you eligible to hold a British or EU passport?


    Will you have been resident in the UK, European Economic Area (EEA)* or Switzerland for the three-year period before the start of your studies at our University?

    * The EEA includes all EU member countries plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.


    Can you confirm that the purpose of your residence in the UK/EEA during the three-year period prior to the start of your studies was not fully or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education?

    [*]Have you been granted indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK?


    Have you lived in the UK for the three-year period before the start of your studies?


    Was the main purpose of your residency not for full-time education?
    If you answer yes to all of the questions in either (1) or (2), you are eligible for home fee status.
  7. Syria1

    Syria1 New commenter

    I was under the same impression - the Teacher Pension scheme is one thing, the home status for university is another - that is based on the residency of the individual family. So a red herring.

Share This Page