1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Schools of America 2010 application

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by winkybird, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Is there anyone here considering applying for BSA for 2010? I believe the application process will begin shortly. If anyone has any tips, please could you share?

:0)

2. hamjam

hamjam New commenter

I have just come back from San Francisco for a holiday, and I am keen to live and teach over there!! I am struggling to find out info also.

Ben

3. I am thinking of applying and contacted one of the schools directly via e-mail, they informed me that the application process begins in December through the TES (or a sister company, but job should appear in TES!). From here it appears to be a selection process through January where interviews will take place.
    I am hoping for a vacancy, as I want so much to be able to teach in the US. Ben, in terms of San Francisco you might be struggling as I think that all of the Schools are more on the East, but perhaps Im wrong and there is one in California, I can't quite remember!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There have been a number of postings about the BSA on this forum and they have not been very positive.

5. Anyone heard anything from the BSA? Waiting patiently to find out if I have been shortlisted....

6. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

I applied for them a couple of years ago. It took them ages to notify me of an interview....but that was when they were starting the process in November/December. Hopefully they'll be more efficient in January as there's more competition for good teachers.

7. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

I've also applied, not heard anything yet. It's frustrating because I don't even know if there are any vancancies at all, let alone for my subject. I'll be really disappointed if I don't get to the interview stage.

8. I applied to them four years ago. The first time I got a couple of e-mails, which ended with them telling me that they would be contacting me about an interview, after whichI heard nothing, even when I e-mailed twice asking what was happening.
    A friend went through the same experience twice. I has also heard negative feedback form others. I'm still interested in working in the USA, but I don'tr think I shall be applying to them.

9. i've not heard anything yet, but i went to their website today and the online application form is still there, but the TES job ads said the closing date was 19th jan. i wonder if they are keeping the application deadline open...?

10. I wonder how many vacancies there actually are? i know they are opening a new york school and so will need to staff that school, but wonder if there are vacancies in the other schools.
    it said on the application form that they will contact 1st referee before shortlisting, then the other two before interviews. as far as i know, my first referee hasn't been contacted yet :(
    still keeping fingers crossed though!!

11. OK so, I wouldn't be too anxious at this stage, there's still a long way to go. I received receipt of my application but I requested one, so don't know whether that made a difference. Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about the contact of referees etc. The shortlisting process is bound to be a long and complicated one, as I imagine there are a lot of applicants, so the filtering process will be complex.

In terms of vacancies who knows? You've just got to keep fingers crossed and hope there's a spot in your area in one of the schools. I figure they will choose on quality of teaching, rather than number of dependants etc of the applicant.
    I understand your frustration as the waiting is horrible, but hopefully a positive outcome will come out of it.
    Best of luck to all who have applied!

12. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

Sounds like you've had some experience with these people, Ben? I think they should maybe consider the fact that some people have houses and if they are offered a position, need to sell these houses. Hopefully, they will not take too much longer[​IMG] What KS/ subject are you applying for Ben?

13. No experience with them particularly Nuts, but just trying to think logically in terms of how many people will have applied plus how many they'll want to shortlist abroad. I have relatives who teach abroad who have gone through a similar process.

I have applied for KS3 and KS4 (as Im currently a High School teacher)

14. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

Well, good luck to you. Keep us informed of progress and I'll do the same.

15. Be careful what you wish for...

If you are a high school teacher I would be very very careful about applying for them.

Check the other posts on the forum about BSA.

But saying that, it can be a great stepping stone to proper international schools.

Also, I think there have been some changes there, so they may be more honest at the interview now.

16. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

The posts you refer to are 2 years old. As there have been very few recent additions to the thread, I would think the previous issues have perhaps been ironed out? Either way, it's a life experience and better than saying "what if".

17. Hey, this is quite an interesting thread! I have also applied for posts here and made contact initially with the head of the whole organisation about the application process. I've a feeling they should be responding to applicants by now at least, but I emailed them for an update to which I got no reply! Does anyone have any idea what actual vacancies exist? I am hoping to get to Chicago since my girlfriend and son are living there, but teaching abroad and coming to the end of my contract at an international school in Shanghai. Right now I am a Secondary Maths teacher and have applied for KS3-5 and IB levels. Going to the US this week over the Chinese New Year so I am hoping to at least get to one of the schools in that time! Any idea on the kind of package that is being offered?

18. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

Anyone heard anything?!

19. nuts88

nuts88 New commenter

Nope.

20. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

*sigh* how long can it take?!!!