1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Schools in Egypt - Canadian Teachers Welcome?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Happy_Daze, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I know that many of the British schools in Egypt will consider hiring North American teachers, but have heard that a few (including the lovely primary school out Maadi way) require U.K. qualifications and experience. I do have three years of Key Stage 3 teaching experience, but my B.Ed. is from a uni in Canada. Care to share your school's preference or practice?

2. I know that many of the British schools in Egypt will consider hiring North American teachers, but have heard that a few (including the lovely primary school out Maadi way) require U.K. qualifications and experience. I do have three years of Key Stage 3 teaching experience, but my B.Ed. is from a uni in Canada. Care to share your school's preference or practice?

3. We've had the odd Seppo with no UK experience. Pretty sure most schools do.
    The Maadi school that you're on about is a very nice establishment and only recruits people who can speak properly.
    [​IMG]

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Wy aye, mon!

5. Oh, yeah, there is that...

6. I may not speak the Queen's English, but I'm no Eliza Doolittle (and definitely not a Seppo)! Although I have been known to wear a bunnyhug on occasion and admit to regularly indulging in double-doubles, I've never tagged a sentence with "eh". I hope this won't be held against me!

7. Well squeeze my plums, I detect a smidgeon of a sense of humour!
    You might get a job.

8. It's Christmas time! Break out the nutcrackers!

9. And the knives...time to get shucking those prairie oysters!

10. There are three Canadian schools in Cairo. I happen to work at the better one [​IMG], but alas, the furthest out of the centre. No double-doubles or Timbits I'm afraid. Maybe a couple of ehs though.

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

He said proper English! Should that not be "bestest"? [​IMG]

12. Nah don't be daft, it's defo 'betterrer'.

13. My accent is south London, my spoken sentence patterns are mostly Canadian. My written English remains English English. My spelling is screwed (is it an S or a Z?).

14. Yup you're right - 'spelling' definitely begins with an 's'.