1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Gas Homecare 200 rip off!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Oct 15, 2019.

1. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

We rang BG and demanded that they drop the price down to that of a new customer, which they duly did. Do the same with our car insurance each year. Infuriating. They must just rely on the few people who don't bother doing this for a little extra cash.

needabreak likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They might if local with a good reputation I know of a couple in my area that are very good but they are small companies so they simply might not have the staff available to respond at short notice (for which most charge a little more), while they are often sub contracted at busy times by BG and HS... Then of course the independents don't have the economies of scale that the big companies do so might be a bit pricy depending on their pricing strategy, which might be OK given your overall saving as long as you know they are honest, available and doing a good job.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yup, and that logic can be extended to virtually all service plans and extended warranties. Such things are sold to prey on peoples’ anxieties, the vast majority of whom overpay mightily to protect against the unlikely, when in fact they could have put the money aside without increasing risk.

Our boiler is kicking on 20 years old. We get a biennial service for £70-80 from a local tradesman and all those years we have had two problems with it - one was a dodgy fan and one the spark plug. I think both fixes were around £70ish.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's true and great about your boiler although to be fair older boilers though less energy efficient are on the whole more reliable (less things to go wrong) and simple to fix according to my local tradespeople with a longer product life than newer models, I once had a 30+ year old boiler and only changed due to alleged efficiency though still wonder if it was a good idea to change, the new pressurised system has given a few problems with pressure etc more issues than the old airing the rads and usual pump/valve replacement issues and odd system power clean.

colpee and border_walker like this.