1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Gas Homecare 200 rip off!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I have had a service contract on my gas boiler with British Gas for many years. The contract also includes electrics, plumbing and other stuff. My renewal for the year was £687. Here's the renewal notice.

Attached Files:

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Most of my previous post didn't send so the story continues.

Attached Files:

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

So I'm paying £46 quid a month more than new customers. I can get the same cover from Corgi Homecare for £16 a month.

When I rang up British Gas to cancel my contract they offered me a price of £500 for the same cover. So they can provide a service for £500 and yet charge me £687.

I usually let these things roll over from year to year but as the price of the cover had increased by £50 this year I decided to look for a better deal and was shocked to see how British Gas were ripping me off.
    I have signed up with Corgi Homecare at £15.75 per month for full cover meaning I pay £189 for this years cover - £500 less than British Gas!!

If you're a customer of British Gas Homecare and aren't aware of this rip off then look for a better deal now.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Post #2 shows the cost of the same cover for new customers as I get, £21.08 a month or £261 per year.

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Tried Corgi and they weren't terribly reliable or as comprehensive as I thought, Homeserve were a better comparison and if you leave for a year you can go back to Homecare and get the new customer discount if you want to.

Marshall and Shedman like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We had the basic British Gas boiler service only contract.

A service engineer who looked about 12 turned up in July, cleaned the boiler, then said he couldn't run the central heating system to test it. He recommended we increase the cover (at greater cost) so the fault in the system could be fixed cheaply. I paid more, then when it came to re-starting the heating in September I thought I'd look into the problem myself first, and lo and behold I discovered the answer. The two AA batteries in the wireless thermostat had gone flat, so it wasn't sending a signal to start the pump. Two new AA batteries later I rang British Gas and asked them to downgrade my cover to boiler only again. When asked why I was downgrading I explained that their service engineer was clueless and I didn't plan to pay extra for that.

The last time the boiler stopped working in extreme cold I did a Google search, found out about the common problem of frozen condenser pipes on outside walls, and fixed the problem in a couple of hours with a couple of quid's worth of plastic pipe and some insulating foam.

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Shedman likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

@Shedman
    Same thing with me - had used BG Homeserve for years, for combi boiler. Price kept creeping up, but I was too busy working to give it much thought. Then one year the renewal was outrageously more than the previous year - stopped me in my tracks, I pulled out, and am now with 24/7.

9. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

It's got a name, this practice of charging existing customers more than new ones. I forget the name.
    Everyone does it.
    Car insurance, electric companies, insurance companies.
    It's a dog eat dog world we live in and life admin can fill your waking hours....

Dragonlady30 and Shedman like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I've never bothered with a service contract for the boiler. I just pay a local plumber to service it once a year. Over the last 14 years it has worked out at an average of £72 a year, which is much less than any service contract. Yes, I know I would be liable for a major repair if one was needed, but I still reckon it is cheaper to pay plumbers directly rather than add to the profits of an insurance co. In any case, it has almost completed its expected 15 year life without needing one single repair. Modern combi boilers are very reliable (one make now comes with a 12 year guarantee).

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had the BG plan. Their idea of an annual service is 23 months. Appointments for servicing were made and cancelled by them, the last one with a couple of hours notice.

We cancelled, had some money refunded and arranged a contract with another company, for slightly more monthly fee. The chap turned up when he said he would, was far more thorough that BG, had a range of parts he might need on board and we were happy with the service.

Recently BG have been begging us to rejoin. Nope!

12. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I employ a former Gas Board trained operative who has branched out on his own as many have done. He is quick 100% reliable and efficient. The cost is barely £70 per year.

BertieBassett2 and Shedman like this.
  13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Charly in the long run its going to be cheaper to 'do it yourself'. The only reason I can see not to is knowing there's someone's to come quickly if something goes wrong, only from what I've heard that rarely happens! My sister had endless problems with her condensate pipe which flummoxed the british gsy man. Our local plumber just moved ours inside and out never froze again.

Shedman likes this.
  14. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Do the same.

towncryer and Shedman like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Hello everyone. Thank you for replies and suggestions. Doing a bit more research online, it seems that the cost of an annual boiler service is about £80 so basically, of the £687 quid British Gas wanted, £600 was an insurance policy to cover against boiler breakdown, plumbing or electrical callouts. This is more than I have to pay to insure my house!

The cost of a new boiler like the one I've got is about £800 so assuming I don't have any electrical or plumbing issues (which I've not had is nearly 25 years in this house), the money I'd save by just having an annual service would buy me a new boiler every two years!!

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That makes perfect sense if your boiler is fairly new. Mine at the time wasn't - well over 20 years old. I also wanted prompt service when things went wrong, especially in the depths of winter!!

HA! Had a new boiler fitted almost a year ago. First it leaked. Then the computer settings didn't work. And someone is coming this p.m., because it's leaking again. And it's a reliable make - Worcester-Bosch.

17. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Shedman' s analysis is very close to the mark and though not affected by BG's charges I have made several changes to my services' costs. E'on wanted to increase my Electric charge by 36% and gas by 56% when my fixed term contract ended in March. They even rang and asked me why I was leaving! I now have a new contract with another provider with a very similar tariff to my previous one. Back in January I reduced my home and contents insurance by nearly 50% with an equally well known company. Only yesterday my wife negotiated a reduction of 30% on phone and broadband charges on the renewal quote given but we now have an 18 month contract instead of a 12 month contract. The only one that I have not yet challenged is car insurance but that is due in next spring.

Jamvic and Shedman like this.
  18. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Like others on here I've always had just a service on my boiler. Haven't had any major repairs or expenses in the last 20 years or so.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  19. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

This has made me think. The only thing that is putting me off changing at the moment is that 2 years ago we had a boiler failure on the 23rd December and because of hubs health probs at that time they were there within 2 hours. Just wonder whether a local engineer would do the same?

Something to look at for when hubs is gone.

needabreak likes this.
  20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"It's got a name, this practice of charging existing customers more than new ones. I forget the name."
    Scam. Con. Rip off. Any of those ring a bell @Nellyfuf2 ?

needabreak likes this.