1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Embassies.....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dumbbells66, Mar 22, 2020.

1. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Err...I am getting information from friends on Facebook and Whatsapp. Not exactly reliable

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

There's quite a lot, but for example when I was with a group of people who had had their passports and other effects stolen in a country that had had a coup d'etat:
    They did absolutely nothing. Wouldn't even let their citizens through the door. Slips of paper with the government website was given and were told to go away. Refused any contact. Couldn't access the website as all electronic goods had been stolen. They couldn't have been less interested.
    US, Canadian and EU citizens were all greeted by their consulates, let in the grounds, details taken and new applications for passports etc. fast tracked.

I've also mentioned the COVID ship in Japan. What a national humiliation that was for the Brits !

As I've said before, there is ample evidence and examples. They won't change until people's attitudes change - which given the comments from some people on this thread seems unlikely. There's none so blind as those that won't see.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

So...5 days after the lockdown in this country and all borders closed there has finally been a message (on Facebook) from high commission regarding their operating status and telling nationals to get in contact if they need assistance to leave (as in which airlines might be arranging rescue flights).

This service was available to a number of other nationalities before the lockdown and they were able to get tickets out on the last available flights before the borders shut.

By the time I knew about those flights they were full with waiting lists closed for tickets.

I am safe, by the way. For the time being.

percy topliss, yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

So Dumbbells. I guess you will have to shelve your plans of being millionaires in 5 years time. How quickly things change. Not that I'm gloating...things have changed for all of us but maybe a little less boastful in future eh? Some of us did hint about counting chickens etc though none of us saw this coming Glad you got out and all the best for the future.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

No, nothing changing with us. School is online now. Only 2 cases in country but it closed its borders quickly. So far the students are desperate to get back to school, and the parents cant wait to send them. Might be out until August.

Also, just signed a two year contract. Even if the school does go under (extremely unlikely) the pay out from my wife and my contract will put us there....dont worry, because im not.

Bentley89 and yasf like this.
  6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Another advantage of working for a non profit. Some of these for profit chains seem to be firing staff / changing contracted benefits quicker than you can say "Zoonosis".

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would be worrying if I was in a large city with lots and lots of schools. Where I am we are the only choice. if I was in a lower-level school in Bangkok or Shanghai, Bejing etc then I would be worried. it pays to work for decent schools.

it will be a difficult time for many, but this is not going to last forever. the world economy can not support it for much longer, people will have to go back at some time. I remember H1N1, and the school I was in was shut for a month and the world didn't fall apart and no students left. so far we have been out for a week. yes it's not going to be easy, but the world isn't coming to an end like some on here seem to think.

back to the original point of this thread, at least the British embassy has now updated its information about the country I was in (on that precious website that some think is an amazing source of information). they were only 24 hours behind posting that the countries borders were closed....and a full 3 days behind pretty much every other embassy's information. thank god for my Polish wife or I would have been stuck..... completely useless and an utterly incompetent.