1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Embassies.....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dumbbells66, Mar 22, 2020.

1. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Well thank goodness you are okay. My husband has pre-existing conditions and developed a dry cough yesterday, and my son in law is in lockdown as someone in his workplace has just been hospitalised, which would always be a worry, but they have a 6 week old baby.
    Again, I apologise for being harsh. Time to stay in and keep loved ones close, even if that is online.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

My ex colleague has been holed up in her compound in Riyadh for over 4 weeks. She is not allowed/able to fly out and her Easter flight is cancelled.
    She needs help. Nothing, as yet has come from the British embassy

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I agree with the chocolate teapot comment. I remember during the Revolution in Iran when a young man from the embassy whom I met socially said quite openly that the emabssy wasn't there to help British citizens out but rather to further the activities of British businesses in the country.
    However, the year after the Revolution when almost all the Brits (amost all of the businessmen) had fled, we WERE invited to the Queen's birthday do at the embassy. First time they'd ever contacted us...

yasf and suem75 like this.
  4. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Well now, old chap, the queen's birthday do in the embassy gardens is what we expats live for doncha know.

A pretentious kiwi head I had the displeasure of working for, at the birthday event, decided to greet our ambassador. He launched in for the European kiss as the ambassador proffered his hand. There was a terrible clinking of noses. I still cringe at the memory.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Maybe the British government should order some of the new steam powered gun boats. School children should sing all 6 verses of God Save The Queen in morning assembly. (Especially the 2nd and sixth verse)

The UK no longer flies the Union Jack at home and if you try flying it outside your house you might get arrested for being a racist!

I can see the British government putting at risk a lucrative arms deal worth billions of pounds over some princess who deliberately got herself kidnapped in London and flown back to the ME.

I have also heard from a British Diplomat that UK citizens abroad are an inconvenient rabble when it comes to doing doggy trade deals with benevolent dictators across the world.

Try speaking to UK mothers who have had their children removed from the UK from under a court injunction and spirited back to the ME by their father's and explore what the Foreign Commonwealth Office does about this occurrence.

The British Embassy in Kuwait had an extensive list of British citizens in the country, during the Iraqi occupation this list was used to simply drive to the address and arrest all the named people for use a a human shield. So you can imagine the reluctance of British Embassies to complete full lists of citizens in a particular country.

I would never trust my life to the British Embassy!

You are on your own!

Luvsskiing likes this.
  6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Yep, I can see this point.

So it’s back to Karen on Facebook to keep me updated.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Interesting.
    Most interesting to me is the characterization of other embassies as doing more. With multiple passports in my family, I vigorously object. One country sent an email reporting the existence of coronavirus in the world, weeks after it was all over the news. They followed up with a report that a consulate was reducing its hours. Another country has not been in contact at all.
    I have no idea what I'd get if I tried to call any of them. As a responsible adult who follows the news and takes personal responsibility for my choices, I have not tried to do so.

8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

How does one get oneself deliberately kidnapped?

9. february31st

By running away from your father who just happens to be the emir and guilty of being female.

10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

No one will be surprised to hear that it was 'La Thatcher' who changed the remit of ALL British Embassies when she took power. They were, firstly, to be completely self financing (that's what causes the ridiculous charges for the simplest task - o' legendary one). Secondly, they were to concentrate almost entirely on helping UK firms trade in their country and vice versa. This of course left very little time and no money for the sort of things we expect from embassies and consular offices i.e. helping and advising compatriots in difficulties.

Kasarabian and miketribe like this.
  11. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

All the British Embassy did here in Kuwait was to advise we read the .gov website and make an absolute tit of themselves on Twitter! No talk of support for a repatriation flight either...

yasf likes this.
  12. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I'd go further and say this is pretty much the attitude of the whole of HMG both in and out of the UK.
    What a terrible excuse. Other countries manage it. Pressing a delete button isn't hard. I believe that with something called 'the internet' it might even be done remotely !
    Yet that is also my experience, as well as numerous other posters on this thread. It was also the recent experience of the poor sods on the COVID ship off Japan.

As to why they get away with it, the apologists on this thread make that perfectly clear.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  13. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

15. RoadToRags

RoadToRags New commenter

The brits in New Zealand have started to ask some of these same questions, since they are trapped there and want some help getting out. Apparently British embassies have not tracked the whereabouts of British citizens for many years, and there is not real remit to help them when they are abroad. At least China has a helpline to call. New Zealand does not even have that.

16. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Week 2 of online teaching.
    Emergency measures starting tomorrow in Bangkok
    Over 100 deaths more that 800 cases
    I have been on the mailing list and then the email list of the British Embassy since 1999
    In the past weeks, since the initial outbreak of a worldwide pandemic, I have heard nothing, not one iota as to what the UK government policy is or what I should do were I to require help for myself or my family.
    I just got this:
    [​IMG] GOV.UK

Update on GOV.UK.

Affirmation of marital status for Thailand

Page summary
    Template affirmation of marital status form for British nationals in Thailand.

Change made
    we have attached new form for application pack for single (never been married before), application pack for divorce, application pack for windowed.

Time updated
    8:36am, 25 March 2020

These people are a complete and utter waste of space. What are they, in fact, doing now if they do not disseminate information? Passport renewal has now been outsourced to another company, which, I must say are excellent. These embassy people are just a joke. Ship them all home and let them work in the NHS, I get more information from Twitter....

Perce

towncryer likes this.
  17. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Interesting to return after many years self imposed absence to see the same silliness and same faces on TES overseas.

Brit embassies have always given me the help I genuinely needed. Advice is updated daily at the moment through emails.

Getting invites always depended on my location. When there was a consulate nearby I was always on the list once I rose to senior management level. When I'm 100s of miles from the nearest consulate, as now, I don't get to celebrate Queenies Birthday with tedious oiks.

What I haven't read on this thread is actual evidence of tardiness:
    a) what the Brit Embassies were expected to do and didn't
    b) what other embassies actually did that the Brit Embassies didn't

:)

18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Simply make sure british subjects knew what was going on. The first twitter announcement was two days into our lockdown.

French Canadian and Dutch have all been contacting citizens who are still in country to let them know when rescue flights are arranged

I hear from Karen on Facebook

19. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

So they're not giving you the information you already have.

20. february31st

Maybe the British Government will want us to pay tax if we want representation!