1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Embassies.....

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dumbbells66, Mar 22, 2020.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

What an utter disgrace and embarresment they are. You would have thought they would done at least something during these troubled times.

Now, in contrast, the Polish embassy have been amazingly helpful and proactive throughout all of this mess.

yasf and towncryer like this.
  2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

What do you think they should be doing? I cant really see how they could help, unless you live in a less desirable location and you need their assistance to leave.

3. dumbbells66

They did nothing. Now, the Polish embassy (through my wife) contacted everyone, kept them up to date with all information, and warned everyone of what was happening when the borders were closing, and which flights were our best option. They even offered to assist us to get on a repatriation flight being conducted by another country.

The British embassy did none of this. In fact all they did was change their answerphone message to"sorry the embassy is closed". I have been overseas long enough to know never to rely on the British embassy, but when you compare them to pretty much any other country they are useless... in fact worse than useless.

Kasarabian likes this.
  4. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

FCO travel advice has been pretty explicit.
    If you remain overseas when you have been advised not to, why should the consular staff be responsible for your actions?

5. dumbbells66

Because every other embassy in our city made an effort as it was such a fluid situation.... even the French embassy made a big effort for their citizens

6. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

They don't care as they think of Brits working abroad as no longer taxpayers worthy of their notice. However, many of us do pay money into the UK, whether through property or to the state pension or remittances back home or travel.

But yeah...if you want the British Embassy to give a damn, be a wealthy businessman, not some no mark (in their eyes) backpacking teacher.

Kasarabian likes this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

British Embassies are very quick and efficient, when it comes to taking money off you for doing virtually nothing, such as stamping documents. Apart from that, the phrase "chocolate teapot" comes to mind.

T0nyGT, Kasarabian, towncryer and 2 others like this.
  8. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I've found it to be the case in a number of other crises. I was teaching overseas during 9/11. Every other western embassy was proactive and helpful. The Brits couldn't have been less helpful.
    I went on a school trip where the passports for all the teachers 'disappeared'. The Americans, Canadians and other Europeans all had active help from their consulates. The Brits were treated as an inconvenience by their own consulate. And then of course there was the recent case of the Coronavirus cruise ship off Japan. All the other countries were swift and proactive in removing their citizens. The British reaction was typical.
    The reason, of course, that they get away with it is because of this reaction.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Seriously.
    This is a pandemic. A global emergency. You have chosen to stay when you could have left.
    If you exercise your right to make a choice rather than follow FCO advice then you, and you alone bear the responsibility.

10. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The British Embassy has been consistent for the last 50 years in their assistance to citizens abroad ever since the flag was lowered over the Empire.

But in some respects I like the British Embassy not getting involved in my life. As a responsible adult I have to make decisions by myself and be responsible for my own actions while living abroad. How would we like the British Embassy being able to control our lives while we are living abroad telling us which countries we can visit and what we do while we are there.

You just have to remember the British Embassy are a bunch of useless t w a t s and head for the Finish/Norwegian/Swedish/Danish Embassy if the **** hits the fan.

Bentley89 and dumbbells66 like this.
  11. dumbbells66

I choose to leave, i got the square root of jake from the British embassy, and all the help in the world from the Polish embassy. If i had waited for a completely useless webpage to be updated i would currently be stranded with absolutely no help from the British embassy. In fact other brits that weren't as lucky as me have had to rely on the generousity of BP to expatriate them.

What an utter disgrace they are @gafleecey

Kasarabian and Bentley89 like this.
  12. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

Dumbells, I am not suggesting that the British Embassy are any good. As an expat of a quarter of a century I have low expectations.
    But...the writing has been on the wall for months. On this very forum, people unsure whether to accept contracts for the autumn were mocked as being unsuited to international education. The cavalier attitude of people who were in a position to leave over the last several weeks is not the responsibility of consular staff.

13. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

What did the Polish embassy actually do to help?

14. dumbbells66

a damn sight more than any completely lazy and incompetent employee of the British embassy !!!!

Kasarabian likes this.
  15. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

The information you need is on the government website. As an educated person, you do not need a person on the end of a telephone in an Embassy to give you information which is freely available.
    As a person with financial means (a fact about which you are often reminding us) you have been in a position to repatriate yourself but have chosen not to.

16. dumbbells66

Oh you couldnt be so wrong my friend, so so so completely wrong

17. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

In that case, I apologise.
    I am back in Blighty but have family in 3 continents and friends all over the world.
    If I have misunderstood, then I am sorry, and hope that you and your loved ones are well.

18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Ok...I think some of you are being a tad harsh on Dumbells.

I too am in a very fragile country, with, however, a very strong and generally popular government.

In 7 days we went from zero cases to day after 1st case school closures and then to borders closing, then to lockdown with 4 hours notice last night.

Most, not all, of the other nationalities received from their embassies information on what was happening. Information on which airlines had flights leaving, information on embassy representation.

I have received nothing. The british embassy do not even keep a record of their nationals in the country.

I have relied on Facebook (!!!!) posts from unknown strangers to keep me informed.

Should I have gone three weeks ago, when the writing was on the wall in europe and knowing what had happened in china...well maybe, but my interpretation was that it was significantly worse elsewhere and the whole of our region appeared largely unaffected.

Do I wish I had gone...I dont know. However, I am now resigned to sitting it out in a country with very limited health resources and poor infrastructure.

towncryer and Bentley89 like this.
  19. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Ok...I think some of you are being a tad harsh on Dumbells.

I too am in a very fragile country, with, however, a very strong and generally popular government.

In 7 days we went from zero cases to day after 1st case school closures and then to borders closing, then to lockdown with 4 hours notice last night.

Most, not all, of the other nationalities received from their embassies information on what was happening. Information on which airlines had flights leaving, information on embassy representation.

I have received nothing. The british embassy do not even keep a record of their nationals in the country.

I have relied on Facebook (!!!!) posts from unknown strangers to keep me informed.

Should I have gone three weeks ago, when the writing was on the wall in europe and knowing what had happened in china...well maybe, but my interpretation was that it was significantly worse elsewhere and the whole of our region appeared largely unaffected.

Do I wish I had gone...I dont know. However, I am now resigned to sitting it out in a country with very limited health resources and poor infrastructure.

20. dumbbells66

I am safe now thanks @gafleecey ,but with abdolutely no help from the British embassy. If i had relied on them i would be in a very difficult situation. Thank god for decent countries eith decent embassies.

yasf likes this.