1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British "comedy " films of the last 20 years are brilliant.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Aug 25, 2012.

1. I am on a back to back journey. I've watched "Keeping Mum"..."Blow Dry"...."Nina's heavenly Delights"..and they are wonderful. I have yet to watch " The Butcher Boy"..." Inside I'm dancing" and "Confetti".
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I believe that British Comedy reached its hey-day with Ealing!
    You can't beat Passport to Pimlico...or Kind Hearts and Coronets....
    Am I showing my age?

3. Are you saying that every Brit Com film since then is *****?

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Noooo....just no where near as good!
    I rather liked 'Calender Girls'....does that count as comedy?...oh and 'The Full Monty' raised a few smiles....I guess I don't 'get' modern comedy!

5. I'm sorry Beth, I've just been rebuked by Mrs. B . She feels my response was a little harsh. I apologise if i caused upset.

I agree Calendar Girls was rather good. :¬)) xx

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Not at all!....My response to your OP was hardly helpful!...and I pretty much dismissed about a half century of films in one fell swoop!

7. There is one with cabbages in the title....... or something like it...... Brenda Doda.....?
    grows dope........?
    Is Keeping Mum with Rowan Atkinson as a vicar?
    I liked the one about a northern shoe factory........ ?

8. Lol..
    Saving Grace...
    Yes...
    Kinky Boots

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I did not realise Knotting Hill, and Love Actually were supposed to be comedies! Too much schmaltz for the yanks!
    Johnny English (Johnny English 2 was dire).

10. I think they are called RomComs or ChickFlicks.

Doc Martin (the film) and Legend of the Cloutie are on the cards today.

11. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Withnail and I - sooooooooooooo funny
    Hot fuzz
    Shaun of the dead
    A good English comedy is my favourite type of film....there are not enough of them made

12. Two brilliant films, I agree...along with The Lady Killers etc...
    I haven't seen ANY of the films mentioned in your OP Baubs, but I'll seek them out now...as well as those recommended by others. I do enjoy some light-hearted entertainment.

13. Oh and the one with John Cleese as a Headmaster...always time-keeping but having a disastrous cross-country trip to get to an important meaning.
    Called Clock-Watching or something. It's one I can watch time and time again, along with most of the Python Films...(although it's a long way removed from them!)

14. It is...I discovered it way back and kept recommending it to people who were rather indifferent to it...Fortunately my sons really appreciate the humour and it's a favourite here.
    Thinking of those characters..there is a film about a re-formed rock-group with Bill Nighy in it (and Billy Connolly I think)...and it's very funny imo. These middle aged rockers trying to re-live their youth had me in stitches. Not sure how well received it was but it made me laugh.
    Wish I could remember the name of it! (Useless at remembering names!)
    Because I liked that I also LOVED the TV series (2 of them) Saxondale. It's laugh out loud stuff, perhaps because I come from the era Saxondale keeps harping back to and trying to keep alive. Coogan is very funny and very clever imo.

15. I like Peggy Mount films. She did funny in that wonderfully serious way.
    and Sybil Thorndyke. A great and daft Miss Marple.
    Loved the museum dinosaur film ....... the dashing through streets and countryside with a nodding dinosaur skeleton on the back.
    I do like silly things.

16. Does anyone know anything about the allotment film.....?
    Dont know it's title or anything.

17. Grow your own.

18. Yes, thats it.
    Just googled it.

19. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

I do agree British films are funny but they do tend to have the same, easy to read humour throughout - the Lock Stock films The Full Monty (in particular) and anything with Hugh Grant being good examples. Mildly entertaining but as soon as you leave the cinema, forgotten. I did find many, many Brits had and have the same type of humour as in Full Monty and Lock Stock - surprising they'd pay to hear their own jokes, but that maybe indicates the stagnation I mean. You know exactly what you will get with a British comedy, and it is not really far from the Carry On and 'Allo, allo' stuff. Too comfortable, I guess.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Still Crazy
    I love that film.
    I don't like the Shaun of the <strike>Sheep</strike> Dead genre at all but Inside I'm Dancing, Grow Your Own, Waking Ned and quite a few more are great wee films.