1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Citizen but trained in the West Indies

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by tashafran, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Is there anyone on this forum who could address my questions?
    I am a British citizen who has been living in Jamaica since I was a teenager. I have been teaching for 10 years and was trained at The University of the West Indies. I possess a BA in Literature, a post-graduate Diploma in Education (English) and an MEd. in Language Education:English.
    I am planning to return to London (where i was born) to teach.
    Does anyone have any advice on how I go about getting a teaching job at the secondary level? Would I have to get a PGCE in the UK before I can be employed? Would my 10 years of teaching experience give me automatic QTS? Would I be treated as a NQT since I have no UK teaching experience?
    Is there anyone from the West Indies who has an teaching experience in the UK?

2. Is there anyone on this forum who could address my questions?
    I am a British citizen who has been living in Jamaica since I was a teenager. I have been teaching for 10 years and was trained at The University of the West Indies. I possess a BA in Literature, a post-graduate Diploma in Education (English) and an MEd. in Language Education:English.
    I am planning to return to London (where i was born) to teach.
    Does anyone have any advice on how I go about getting a teaching job at the secondary level? Would I have to get a PGCE in the UK before I can be employed? Would my 10 years of teaching experience give me automatic QTS? Would I be treated as a NQT since I have no UK teaching experience?
    Is there anyone from the West Indies who has an teaching experience in the UK?

3. <font size="3">As a British citizen you have the right to work in the UK, however, you would be classed as an unqualified teacher. Teaching experience overseas does not give QTS, only some teaching qualifications such as Australian, US or EU ones.</font><font size="3">Qualified teacher status could be gained through a PGCE or the OTTP.</font><font face="Calibri">However, you may not need qualified status to obtain work. Independent schools and Academies do not have to employ qualified teachers, so this may be your best route to employment. An academy may then put you through the OTTP.</font><font size="3">If you do want to work in state schools, you can be employed by a school which is not an academy if it is unable to hire a qualified teacher because none apply. In reality this is unlikely, although an agency might help you to identify such a school.</font><font size="3">English is not a shortage subject in the UK, so do apply across a wide area to maximise your work chances.</font>