1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

British Blondes...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by airy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. ...a new range of hair colour from Garnier "tested on British hair" to ensure the best shades. Am I the only one questioning the validity of the claim that "British hair" is any different to mainland European hair and thinking it's merely a distasteful and borderline racist marketing campaign?

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

This is hair that is used to the wind, rain and hail all year around. Not just the winter months like our soft European cousins.

3. Those soft European blondes from Scandinavia?

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thats the ones, what do they know of the deadly drizzle.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

perhaps a euphemism for bottle blondes?
    or this
    [​IMG]

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I wondered about this when I first heard the ad on radio, airy. It struck me as odd too.

7. Maybe it's a special range of hair dye to make hair look yellow in the grey light of overcast skies.

8. A quick google and

http://www.britishblondesociety.co.uk/choose/whyblonde.html
    [​IMG]

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I think you think too much and are reading too much into this.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe it's the notion that any hair product that could survive a night out on a Brit in Benidorm, Faliraki or Zante has got to be pretty durable?

11. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Good...it wasn't just me who found this advert absurd. The sceptic in me also reckons the models in the advert aren't even British either...

12. BelleDuJour

Excuse me!
    I'm British, very blonde and the closest I've ever been to a brunette is to give birth to one!

13. You see, the brunette gene is lurking there somewhere! (Incidentally, I'm a brunette and the closest I've been to a blonde is giving birth to one - go figure!)

14. BelleDuJour

Sadly I'm a scientist and can figure that one!
    Blonde is recessive which means you need 2 genes, one from each parent to be blonde (me).
    Brunette is dominant, so 2 x brunette = brunette OR 1 x blonde + 1 x brunette also = brunette.
    Daughter's father was dark (brunette) and she got her brunette gene from him but a blonde from me, so is brunette.
    You, Gargoyle, and Mr Gargoyle whilst not blonde are both carrying the blonde gene hidden by your darkness!
    So, the brunette gene is not lurking in me, but the blonde gene is lurking in you!
    Hope that makes sense.

15. Oh no! Can I have it removed?! [​IMG]

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I suspect it may be a bit late.
    What do you think?

17. You may be right Lurky (as usual!)

18. Belle

Can you explein the thing where kids are really really blond as children but by the time they are 20 are really dark haired? Not the mousy to brown that is common but propper blond to dark brunette.

It seems, from family / friends, but nothing scientific that it happens in families with irish ancestry.

19. That happened to my mum - she had proper white/blond curly hair as a young child which darkened to brunette and went completely straight!

20. BelleDuJour

Yes, I can.
    The really blonde kids are dark haired kids whose genes to produce melanin (the dark pigment in hair) are not 'switched on' until later as they grow older. This is also why there are few adults with this particular shade of really white blonde hair. Natural blondes are rarely this colour.