1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Britain's most extreme hoarder

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mistletoeandwhine, Dec 22, 2011.

1. I watched this programme last night and I was still thinking about it this morning.
    Just wondering if anyone else saw it and what you think of the man and the villagers?

2. I watched this programme last night and I was still thinking about it this morning.
    Just wondering if anyone else saw it and what you think of the man and the villagers?

3. How did it end? I fell asleep and missed the last 15 minutes but found it really interesting and thought provoking. I thought the guy who wanted to help the hoarder the most (the one they kept interviewing) seemed like a really nice guy but I could totally understand his frustration when the hoarder wanted to keep the old broken unbrella as it "might be useful one day."

4. I too fell asleep..... what happened?

5. He agreed to let the nice guy (the landscape gardener) help him clear the garden. He and a couple of his staff started clearing it and a lady came to help too. It wasn't clear if they managed to persuade him to clear the entire garden as he started saying old newspapers would be useful. The nice guy said the man was just lonely and he would come and talk to him if he wanted.
    What did you think of the other villagers?

6. That was a bit too short!
    The village preservation society came across as the most ridiculous snobs - all about the community, unless of course you didn't want to be in with the in crowd!
    He seemed to be your average failure to thrive type, stuck in a 13 year old boys mindset, all collecting stuff and a paper round.

I was shocked at the cost of the house though - 1 million!!!!!
    DId the gardener bloke succeed, should I watch the end on 4OD?

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

They all managed to clear the garden and people were bringing him meals so he had decent food for a while - he got a haircut too and looked loads better.

They started to clear the house and he got distressed at one point asking himself what on earth would his mother have thought of all the mess. Then he was accepting that it wasn't a storage issue after all (as he had told the expert who had come to see him) but that it was a medical condition/problem. It ended with the builder chap (who seemed really nice didn't he) getting him to promise to contact this expert for treatment/counselling.

I was hoping that you would see the results of that, but it ended there - I hope they do a follow-up.

There now you don't have to watch it - in fact I felt it ended a bit abruptly.

Am editing this as it seems to have ignored my paragraphing!

8. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Yep - not a paragraph in sight!

9. As I said, it wasn't clear if the gardener succeeded.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that way about the villagers. It could be the way they were edited for the sake of a documentary, or it could be that they really were like that. I really didn't warm to the Italian-sounding guy in the flash car who went on about him being weird. As if being weird is a crime! It sounds as if he wouldn't meet their petty standards even without the hoarding issue.

10. Did they actually show the garden after it had been cleared? I had the impression he was arguing about some of the stuff having to say.
    The landscape gardener did come across as really nice. Much nicer than the village vicar, who seemed to be more concerned about Britain in Bloom.

11. The man had a problem and it certainly ticked all the boxes - and more - in terms of whether he had a psychiatric illness. No way was it helpful, however well-intentioned, for the nice guy and a group of the less obnoxious, but *still pretty patronising* villagers, to wade in and try to deal with it. He was clearly in a state when his *safety zone* began to be taken away, branch by branch and newspaper bundle by newspaper bundle.
    I was struck by the vicar's comment about people needing to ask for help before it could be sent their way. Or did he really say that? Was he really being un-Christian? It sure sounded like it. I notice he did slither along to wield a garden tool, later...
    The *expert* was useless. In my view, he was the only one who could have made some headway with the guy's problem but it would have probably taken up an entire series at least. So... he ran off.
    As for the firefighters, all that head shaking and gormless grinning at the camera - also pathetic. And some of them are clearly too fat to be fit for purpose.

12. Absolutely! He seemed to match 3 of the 4 categories of 'abnormal' in the big book of diagnostics (I teach psychology, sorry) . But I was far more incensed by the apparent return to the 70s / koffeeklatch snobbery of the other villagers. They seemed far more abnormal to me!
    Firefighters? Sounds like fun... par for the course it seems. We had another "We can't climb that! Elf and safety" debacle locally. Utterly ludicrous!

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    really?
    They seemed pretty normal to me.
    Nobody wants a garbage dump in their village.

14. Sorry, lurk. But they were militant in their need to win the In Bloom stuff... and extremely judgemental and high handed.
    I mean who in earth thinks it is OK to hire a man to build a fence around someone elses property. The committee and a neighbour stumped up the cash and then the builder was the only one who thought to ask the home owner!
    And the Italian guy.... who seemed not to be a resident but got all excited at the sight of cameras and just had to stop to pass his judgement!
    And on his walk round the villager the organiser commented on another perfectly normal looking house "Oh, I'll have to get Debbie to do something with that!" so it wasn't just the hoarder who was judged and found wanting!
    I have lived in villages like that, scary places, unpredictable and cliquey!

Ooooooooooooooooer! Maybe it's me then! What a let down I am!! [​IMG]

15. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

They seemed like pretentious snobs, on the whole, to me. Only concerned about how the village looked, on appearances, neatness, perfect flower beds and tidy gravel, the Gardening Club, martial arts club, flower arranging club, wives club blah blah blah. They seemed to devote a huge amount of time to gossiping about Richard Wallace behind his back, talking obliquely about their 'little problem' in the village and putting up a fence so he was hidden out of sight.
    Of course they don't. But within seconds of filming and hearing Richard talking to the camera, he was obviously articulate, intelligent, kind, thoughtful. He was not living in squalor because he revelled in it, he is ill and in need of support. His parents' deaths must have had such a huge impact and, as someone else mentioned, he seemed stuck in a teenage-boy mindset.
    The documentary ended far too abruptly and I hope there is some kind of follow-up. I'd really like to think that he has got the psychiatric help he needs, that the friendly people in the village are continuing to share the time of day with him and that his houses and garages are useable, liveable now.

16. pobble what are the indices that someone isn't normal? (genuinely interested)

17. lurk_much

They may not have been ideal but I still think that is reasonably normal.
    Many people are obsessed with appearances, it is a way of keeping score, it may not be a competition I care to take part in but I think most of us are beneficiaries nevertheless.

[​IMG]

18. lurk_much

It did.
    I wanted proper closure and a happy ending.

19. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

That was the price of the properties he owned/his family had owned. Several houses not just the main one shown.

20. Sometimes there are none.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/mar/28/gordon-stewart-hoarding-rubbish

"The downstairs windowsill, visible below the boarding, is stacked with an extraordinary array of rubbish - cat litter, shredded newspapers, wallpaper, sandwich boxes. It's more a landfill than a living room."