1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Britain's Best Dish

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 14, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Is it?
    Call me whatever but I like to think a programme called Britain's Best Dish would be a celebrstion of all that it British, not a mulit-cultural hotch potch of curry and other international cuisines.
    Now, I know curry is our fave but let's go all out for British food!
    I remember one year the winner made a smoked trout tart with trout caught in her local chalk stream, home smoked, eggs from her own chickens and watercress form the local beds. I'm sure it was this inate Britishness that won her the competition.
    I believe last year it was won by a trio of Lancashire puds, so the British foods do get there but they have to fight their way past all sorts of wierd, wonderful (and delicious) foreign foods.
    Ok....now I've flown the old Union Jack but I have one other gripe over this programme.
    Why is John Burton-Race so nasty?
    He really is quite rude. I'd be tempted to shove my food right in his face he's so vile. I mean, the judges choose the dishes to be cooked in the studio, so they obviously lie them, but then he bangs on about how 'worried' he is and how 'this concerns me' and 'it won't work'. Idiot! After all, what does he know? Didn't his restaurant go bust?
    So, let's get rid of Mr Nasty and bring on Stargazy pie, Queens of Puddings, Steak and Kidney, Kedgeree (ok, from our colonial past but so British!), devilled kidneys....the list is endless!

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Watched it on Tuesday - it's a truly awful programme. Cringeworthy.

3. BelleDuJour

It is strange Nick. I just wish it were a celebration of British food and produce.
    Last night one contestant just cooked roast beef. OK, very British but nothing to ditinguish hers from a Toby Carvery......she even served tinned sweetcorn and frozen peas with it!
    There were two gorgeous puds though.....ginerbread and a rhubarb cake. Both rather English I'd say and both looking delish.
    But yes, a strange programme!

4. Apart from a good roast, puddings are what most people would consider the Best of British.
    It is surprisingly hard to think of whole meals that are British, lots of bits but not so many whole dishes, like in French cuisine!
    I have to admit the programme irritates me, but I too like the puds.

5. BelleDuJour

I don't necessarily agree Pobble. I we include Scotland, Wales and NI we have all manner of food to enjoy. How about pies? Pies are very British from hot savouries to sweet pies ans raised pies likepork pie and game pie. Or stews with dumplings or Irish stew or hotpots. Yes, there's the roasts too but there is so much British food and produce. Watercress, pork, cheese, asparagus, all the fishes from our waters (we are an island after all!), shellfish - cockles, mussels, crab, oysters, Aberdeen Angus beef, Welsh lamb, Aylesbury duck, smoked salmon, brown trout..... even ingredients like Worcester sauce and marmite!
    Surely someone could be creative with that lot!
    I know I could but I'd really rather not be on that programme!

6. Apart from the stews they are all bits of a meal - lovely bits, but not a whole meal.
    Don't get me wrong I love traditional British food and am currently reading some olde worlde books and trying to go seasonal, but naming a whole meal is a bit difficult after fish and chips, pie and mash, sausage, egg and chips....
    The French seem to do whole dishes, I think that's why they have a reputation for being foody.
    I'm sure a lot of us here could do better that the contestants, but like you would rather not. I certainly wouldn't!

7. BelleDuJour

That's why I suggest being creative and doing something with British produce. There are whole meals and puds out there like stargazy pie, bakewell tart, sussex pond pud so let's get British (but not on that programme eh Pobble!)

8. I will be keeping a diary - just for fun - on how eating British goes. I'll let you know!
    But you will NEVER see me on that programme demonstrating any of it!

9. BelleDuJour

Me neither, but my ramblings have made me want to go and make a cheese and onion pie.....................RIGHT NOW!!!!
    Very British, very delicious and very tasty!