1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Britain is in an utter shambles. What happened?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dd89, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Dd89

Dd89 New commenter

From 2008 there has been lipservice payed to the recession. Up until now it only impacted on some.
    Wealthy baby boomers and those over 55 are still laughing, but everyone else seems utterly in a mess financially.
    How come It got this bad? Is there any solution to the shambles Britain is very obviously in in 2015, and is going to get three times or more worse in the coming years?

2. gameofdrones

gameofdrones Established commenter

Its a random guess but would your solution be UKIP and the EDL?

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What happened? David Cameron, that's what happened!

coffeekid likes this.
  4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Its not so much 'recession' as 'the elite' making up less than say 10% of the population who are stinking rich and then the rest of us.

And saying Britain is 'obviously' in a shambles and it is 'going to get three times or more worse,', while I appreciate your sentiment, in terms of argument structure would not get you a grade C at GCSE!

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I haven't met a problem yet that can't be solved by a fetching green cagoule and a flat cap

[​IMG]

6. gameofdrones

Depends on what you mean by "problem".

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think it has much to do with the fact that those under 55 have been much more eager to get themselves into massive debt (and I'm leaving mortgages aside), coupled with the incredible expansion in credit within the past 15 years or so.

"Baby boomers" are more likely to have been extremely cautious with their money, buying only what they could afford; many younger people, however, believe that if they want something they should have it whether it's actually affordable or not.

Dragonlady30 and cissy3 like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Growing income inequality with the top 1% of the population growing wealthier at the cost of the rest... many of whom have accepted that their growing impoverishment is actually good for the country.

[​IMG]

Bizarrely enough the best time for the 99% was the 1970s, the decade we are now told was close to hell on earth, what with bodies in the street, brownouts, rubbish uncollected and Jimmy Saville running amok [sorry, couldn't resist]

9. gameofdrones

Compared with Eurozone countries that are meant to be in trouble, we have far more personal debt. The only thing that has stopped us from being like Spain or the Republic of Ireland is having the lowest interest rates in history.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not so sure about this ... I can't think of many in my group of friends and colleagues who've been eager to get into debt.
    [​IMG]
    Indeed, the young are the least likely to have a credit card.

kibosh likes this.
  11. gameofdrones

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Probably because you and your friends are sensible!

Many people seem to be fooled by rampant materialism, in that they have to have the latest this, and the latest that.

I like the Oscar Wilde quote.

'' They know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing''

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not disputing people are in debt... I'm disputing that they are eager to get into debt.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Do people still use credit cards?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not if they have any sense.