1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Britain 'going to do really well' in Covid fight - WHO special envoy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 4, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Finally some encouraging news.

David Nabarro, the WHO's special envoy on Covid-19, on the coronavirus outbreak, including his assessment of the UK's response.

He told the BBC: "I’m saying that Britain is going to do really well because I'm seeing evidence that there is, firstly, really good attention to where the virus is locally, secondly, a lot of public engagement in getting on top of it and thirdly, wherever I am looking now, I am seeing evidence that different parts of society are pulling together and saying we are going to get on top of this."

He added that "nobody wants to go through further lockdowns".

"The economy has taken a big hit and we've got to make absolutely certain that economic recovery can happen, and that means getting ahead of the virus," he said.

He said countries that had a particularly good response to the dealing with the virus included Singapore, South Korea, China and Vietnam.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

With a more competent government - maybe.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The China 'cover up' and back guardian WHO., are qualified to comment?

4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Has he seen our beaches and town centres? I'm in the NW. There's a massive divide-some people are distancing well, wearing masks, wiping down their shopping/sanitising clothing when they arrive home and offering to take things to the more vulnerable. Some are pushing past others, mask free, going out as much as they can, meeting strangers and hugging them, attending protests in massive groups.

It's all very well to say let the second group suffer from their own stupidity, but aside from poor medics, the first group could die too, as they're not providing separate schools for the children of the sensible, so come September, what's the difference?

EmanuelShadrack and red_observer like this.
  5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Sanitising clothing?!

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

But not the Uk. There's a thing.

Familiar with some of your responses, you might dismiss this as simply anti government hobby horsing, but actually my own politics are irrelevant to this point...

The back story to Nabarro's relationship with the UK government is significant, in that a few years ago he was one of the contenders to be new WHO director general. The most auspicious public endorsements he received were from Boris Johnson and Priti Patel. (and Jeremy Hunt, but ...ssssh)
    So he is most definitely honour bound to some back scratchy big-upping of the UK response, which is in fact unsubstantiated, as is any analysis which hinges on the evaluations "really good" and "really well".
    When I read the extract from the interview which you quote in your post, they jumped out to me as being as non-evidential as Trump's self debunking "tremendous number".
    So I asked myself why. Why would he state that the UK will be great, when clearly they have not been?
    The answer is that at this stage, the gov need a bit of help tbh, and nobody can argue with a subjectively stated prognosis.
    Yet.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The wrong sort of WHO special envoy.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't think washing down/sanitising your shopping is a great idea (nor one recommended by government AFAIK). I started by doing that but the fruit and veg tasted disgusting after being sanitised and I ended up throwing them away.

George_Randle likes this.
  9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I thought it a curious statement as well. Why we WILL be instead of why HAVENT WE BEEN?

Scintillant likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Is there a second place called Britain that he's talking about?

I'm sure he can't be describing the Britain that I live in, where the majority of people I see have given up even pretending to take any precautions. To be fair, I know there are still some people being very cautious, but because they mainly stay at home I don't see them.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We will see soon enough.

12. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I don't even know where to begin with that. Is he really talking about Britain?

13. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Indeed. This makes interesting reading. https://www.pharmaceutical-journal....-brexit-deal/20208160.article?firstPass=false

"The UK medicines supply chain demonstrated its robustness during the pandemic, but whether it can withstand the triple pressures of winter, coronavirus and Brexit is causing some anxiety.

Around 70% of prescription medicines dispensed in the UK come through the EU at some point. As a result, drug manufacturers were asked by the UK government to maintain Brexit stockpiles after the UK left the EU as a precaution against COVID-19-related shortages.

These have played a vital role in managing the pandemic, but a pharmaceutical industry memo, reported by the BBC in June 2020, said the UK government had been advised to build its own stockpiles of some “critical” COVID-19 drugs because existing supplies had been used up and it would not be possible to rebuild the stockpiles in case of a no-deal Brexit."