1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brit Int Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by claytie, Jan 31, 2019.

1. claytie

claytie New commenter

Can't really disguise this school name well! Any info gratefully received, before this thread is taken down.

2. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

I believe the opinion on these forums are high, if you are talking about eating BISCuits in Cairo? A school which recently attended the jobs fair in London.

However opinions on ISR are more.......mixed. But this seems to be the same on there for every school I’ve looked at. I rarely see a positive comment. I believe any issues may concern someone high up in the management chain with an interesting history - but that person is retiring at the end of the year I also believe.

I applied earlier in the year - had a preliminary discussion but didn’t make the interview stage. I was very impressed with the person I spoke to. Very helpful, professional, and asked me some very searching and observant questions.

We would have accepted had we been offered, but I know a lot of people have reservations about Cairo and Egypt in general. I believe this school also mainly deals with local kids and all the inherent issues that can arise from that.

I hope this helps but bear in mind I haven’t actually been there or worked there. I know others here know more.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

British schools in Cairo are quite easy to disguise

Biscuit factory
    Amy Winehouse (think of a song to do with drugs / alcohol) and her MAD sister
    Michael Bolton International School
    Al Jolsson School
    Not the old capital

At the moment, only numbers 1 and 3 are worth applying for

Egyptian kids are no worse than else where. Certain amount of "entitlement" since the revolution and talking is the national sport!!! It's the back up (or lack of it) you get from those above you that can cause you problems...

Leonardo1983 likes this.
  4. bigfatgit

Forgot one
    Hilly spring water

5. claytie

claytie New commenter

Thanks so much!

6. claytie

claytie New commenter

Quality of package, anyone?

7. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

Yes, a very worthy package. I can certainly recommend the Junior School. Mostly local students. Good location.

Leonardo1983 likes this.
  8. norwichred

Did I get the right school?

9. claytie

claytie New commenter

Yes, you did!

10. claytie

claytie New commenter

I’m wondering what the quality of the housing is like?

11. norwichred

Supposed to be superb from what I've heard but as I've said I've never actually been there. Thy were going to send me some photos and then it fell through.

claytie likes this.
  12. bigfatgit

They don't offer a housing allowance but take you to various places and you can choose
    Landlords paid directly by school
    Or so I'm led to believe

claytie likes this.
  13. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Biscuits sounds ok but I would be very worried about security in Egypt or is the area far from potential trouble? Would money be easy to transfer back to UK and just how lively are the kids?? What is the school day like I wonder? Recently lived in Nairobi and felt very unsafe, comparison anyone?

14. bigfatgit

Main problem areas are in North Sinai and travel there is banned except by specific routes. Cairo is miles away from there
    Like any big city, there are areas that you shouldn't go to, and, to be honest, you'd have no reason to be there anyway
    I feel far safer here than it the UK - how many knife murders now in London?
    Police (both in uniform and in plain clothes) are everywhere - they've even been known to pop into the ACE for a "lemonade"
    Unfortunately, there is still a considerable amount of harassment of females when they are out and about (ranging from the hissing sound to actual touching) but there has been a considerable clampdown including jail terms being handed out and there are now female only taxis driven by females starting to appear
    School days can be long with an early start and your commute will depend on where you choose to live
    Egyptian kids are the world's greatest talkers but if you have good classroom management they are quite easy to teach. There's a certain amount of "entitlement" now.

Leonardo1983 and claytie like this.
  15. claytie

claytie New commenter

How easy is it to transfer money to the UK?

16. bigfatgit

I've never had a problem
    Seems to depend your bank
    HSBC doesn't seem to be a problem same with First Abu Dhabi Bank
    With FAB, I convert $ to £ with them and it's in my offshore account 2 working days later

17. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Any idea of class sizes at biscuits? Teaching load in Junior or Senior?
    Thanks

18. bigfatgit

Nope, sorry

I don't actually teach there

19. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

I would appreciate if you can PM me for some advice
    Thanks in advance

20. bigfatgit

b7031475 check your conversations