1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing up the subject of management time with uncommunicative head

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cinnamonsquare, May 26, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I'm full-time and will be taking on the SENCo role in our 1-form entry school from September. When asked about taking on the role, the subject of management time came up and I was verbally assured that it would be given. Nothing has been said since about arrangements for next year and when the topic of staffing or where TAs will be placed is brought up our headteacher bites off heads. I know that nothing is ever set in stone until after May 31st and budgets are being stretched to the limit, but his reactions do tend to be overly aggressive. Seeing as the school's financial year runs April-April, surely some budgets should be set by now? I was told quite curtly to back off (I'm paraphrasing) when I asked about my maths budget for the year.

Anyhow, I was having an idle chat with one of our speech and language advisers and she said in her opinion that to do the job effectively a teaching SENCo needs at least a full day out of the classroom as SENCo time. Sounds good, but I know that will never happen! Our current SENCo is part-time (0.6) and is allocated 1 afternoon per week as SENCo time.

What should I reasonably be negotiating for and what do you think would be the most tactful (and hopefully effective) way to broach the subject with my HT?

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Bump

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, cinnamonsquare.