1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing money back to the UK

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by AshgarMary, Jan 8, 2011.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Just a note - depending what country you are in, then you may find you get a much better rate changing your money from local to sterling in the country you are in rather than sending it to the UK in local currency and exchanging there.
    I'm always horrified at the dreadful exchange rates in the UK compared to here in Egypt! Here, you can open accounts in Egyptian and also in Sterling, Dollars and Euros (and Yen too I think but I'm not sure) so you can easily move money around between currencies.
    Same goes if you want to move money over from the UK, send it in sterling to a sterling account and then exchange it.

2. Thanks for both responses. Transfering regularly seems like the best approach.

3. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Talk to your bank about their charges. I know that some will have a minimum and a maximum charge. It is quite a simple process from what I gather.