1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing in A-level Film Studies and Media Studies

Discussion in 'English' started by VeronicAmb, Mar 25, 2012.

1. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

As my department already teaches GCSE Film Studies and Media Studies, some of the teachers and the SLT have approached me to start thinking about next years A-levels to commence in September over the Easter Holidays.

Now, taken on-board on what some of you have said, I've taken in consideration of the other members of staff within my department. Furthermore, more than half of the staff are happy to teach these new subjects at A-level because they find that the GCSE students' like the option of these subjects, and think we'll get a great response to the new courses. But on the contrary, a little less of the teachers aren't qualified to teach these subjects, which I worry about when it comes to Teaching Training Days, and Department Meetings, etc.

I have no problem with putting these new courses on their timetables next year, but I have hardly no experience myself with media, I have a little, but that's not enough. But, there is a member of staff that has a PGCE in English with Media, and has shown a great impact of their teaching and has shown exceptional progress to the results of Media and Film Studies at GCSE, and I was thinking should I promote this person to Subject Leader of Media and Film; handling both Media, Film studies at GCSE and A-Level?

But, returning to the point at hand, has any other teacher come across teaching these courses at A-level and do you find the students who choose the subjects' like it and continue to study it at A2 level?

2. sianna

sianna New commenter

It's a popular choice amongst students at both AS and A2 level. The less academic students tend to choose it in my school. Media and Film A levels are not so popular with Russell group universities though so beware and make sure students are aware of this as it could affect their choices when it comes to going to university.
    As far as teaching it goes, teachers will need some training so let them go on a course that will prepare them for teaching the subject. The English and Media Centre run good ones, so do a number of training providers (Dragonfly/Osiris/Lighthouse) and they'll benefit from attending an exam board course too.
    And leading the course - shouldn't you give everyone the opportunity to apply for it? That way you will avoid favouritism.