1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing geography alive and linking schools from around the country....

Discussion in 'Geography' started by sdellar, Dec 20, 2011.

1. I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas or would like to join in a project that I have the foundation ideas for....?
    I have recently become the geography co-ordinator in school and ive been asked to contribute to the school development plan when we get back after Christmas....
    I've had some ideas as im trying to get Geography taught a little more pro avtively in school..
    Something I was thinking of doing is linking schools around the world, although I think ill start with schools around the UK.
    The idea is that the children could write to each other and find about the loacality of the schools and find out how parts of the UK are very similar/different. They can send pictures/photographs of surrounding areas?
    Has anyone tried this before or would anyone be interested in linking schools???
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you.
    Sophie

2. I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas or would like to join in a project that I have the foundation ideas for....?
    I have recently become the geography co-ordinator in school and ive been asked to contribute to the school development plan when we get back after Christmas....
    I've had some ideas as im trying to get Geography taught a little more pro avtively in school..
    Something I was thinking of doing is linking schools around the world, although I think ill start with schools around the UK.
    The idea is that the children could write to each other and find about the loacality of the schools and find out how parts of the UK are very similar/different. They can send pictures/photographs of surrounding areas?
    Has anyone tried this before or would anyone be interested in linking schools???
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you.
    Sophie

3. jennycooke

jennycooke New commenter

Hi Sophie,

A friend of mine is using Oddizzi, www.oddizzi.com to link up with classrooms around the world. It's a great site, full of interactive features and great content that makes geography come alive.

4. I too am interested in this. I have worked in schools previously where we had links with other schools though I was never involved in setting up or administering the links. I am looking into it again and am trying to register with the British Council schools online site, which displays details of other schools around the world who are looking for partners. You also register your school so potential partners can see if they want to contact you. It sounds a bit like online dating to be honest. I'm having a problem as my school was apparently registered on their other site The Global Gateway but the teacher who did that has retired so I can't add my details. I've emailed them so hopefully I will get this sorted out. I would recommend you try it yourself.