1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing a dog to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by riddikulus, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I think it was like one of Enid Blyton's novels - but in the North of England and not Cornwall. Actually the IT course we went on was really good, and the lunch was even better!

2. drek

drek Star commenter

Sorry if someone has already put this point across. A lot of staff have to leave their pets at home when they go to work. Wouldn't it be unfair for one or two persons to be allowed to ensure their dog has a chance to be with their owner all day?

If I was a colleague with a pet that was not allowed in school I'm afraid I would wonder why it's not the same rule for everyone and their pets whatever species they might be.

Maybe they should think about offering free childcare and pet care in schools. That may decrease staff shortages in some areas.

3. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

We have a learning dog in school, short haired and no-shedder who has been brilliant as both a reward and a calming presence. She has been used as the subject of a geography project for EYFS and has had her portrait painted by a number of children. Coco has her own page on the website too.

98%+ of our children are Bangladeshi and there are some parents who have tried to tell us that the dog is Haram or forbidden, until I start the conversation, "Well the Koran actually talk about the saliva of the dog and Coco does not lick and the Imam seems quite happy..." And, the final benefit, the children are no longer scared and squealing when they see a go.

4. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I did it the other way.

I took the kids to my dogs.

I organised walks where I'd call by my house and take my dogs.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Next you'll be telling me she taught you all to read and write, and didn't have observations every few minutes?

Literacy dogs are a real thing.

And lots of workplaces are now doing this.

If daft things like SMART can come from the world of business, why can't we nick the good things too?

7. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

When I was in Junior School our class teacher was Chairman of the Local Bees Keepers Association. We had a beehive in the classroom! A hole allowed the bees to enter the hive through the wooden window frame. The sides of the hive could be removed and there was inner glass so you could see the bees in action. Watching the bees do the waggle dance when then returned with pollen was great. I remember one time when they all left the hive and formed a swarm in the playground - could you imagine the Health and Safety stuff that would happen these days. As children we thought nothing of it.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm allergic to bees.....

Alldone likes this.
  9. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I think when I was in Junior school allergies were almost unheard of. But I guess the kids who had a bee allergy could stay in the classroom whilst the bees formed a swarm.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You've got a dog that doesn't lick itself?

11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

upload_2017-8-14_19-6-45.jpeg

eek!

Alldone likes this.
  12. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I'd love to take my dog to work - I know that my tutees and lots of the children I teach would love this as well - however, I also know that if I were to bring my dog in - that in the English Dept alone there would be: three shihtzus, a pointer, and a Labrador in the corridor - that's not taking into account the numerous dogs across the rest of the school - I think that we would have about 25 dogs on site (which would be my idea of heaven) so this wouldn't be practical - I always take my dog in during the holidays whilst I tidy up and so on ....

I think, OP, you would need to really consider the benefits to the students that you work with (which there are so many) and your own desire to have your furry bestie with you all day - personally, I know that if I took my doggy in with me - despite my declaration that it was for the children it would also be for me - I have my own office so could easily argue that she would be out of the way.

13. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter