1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing a dog to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by riddikulus, Jul 15, 2017.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

A good way for young people to be taught compassion and perhaps even encourage a calming environment, like therapy dogs... although they are vetted for temperament etc.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

At my school (large rural grounds), staff are allowed to bring their dogs and take them around for walks at break, lunch, etc., and the Y7s love taking them out as well. I am not particularly a dog person but two of my neighbouring teachers' dogs are extremely well behaved and I will say hello to them but....I don't like big dogs.

I would wait to see the lay of the land first and be extra wary as some people might have issues with dogs that are too friendly or not extremely well behaved.

les25paul and ViolaClef like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I know a school with a dog - The kids love it and help look after it.

Definitely a positive addition to the environment!

ViolaClef likes this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suspect this is for your own benefit and convenience rather than the college's.

drvs, theworm123 and DYNAMO67 like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The only dog it is appropriate to bring to school, IMHO, is:

[​IMG]

6. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

As someone completely terrified of all dogs, big and small, I would not be happy if someone was allowed to bring a dog into my place of work every day. It would make me very, very uncomfortable even if the dog was meant to be in an office.
    You would need to put feelers out, investigate how your colleagues and students would feel as well as any potential issues (e.g. what would happen if your dog bit someone, pooped somewhere it shouldn't, escaped...).

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If the dog bit someone, as a parent (say) I'd be demanding the sacking of the person who brought it in, and that the dog be destroyed.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Does that mean that you will see students in your office? If so, what will you do with the dog when you are expecting a student who is terrified of them?

9. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

My first ever post on TES (back in 2009) was to side with OFSTED after a school complained on the front page of TES because OFSTED wanted to know where the risk assessment for the dog was!

Piranha likes this.
  10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I love the idea.

11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This reminds me of one of my favourite ever ofsted reports:

upload_2017-7-15_17-8-45.png

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

What about people who are allergic to dogs?

I don't mind dogs at all, but a place of work isn't a place for pets. You suggest the kids could benefit from it, but be honest, it's for your benefit and that alone! I can't see how it doesn't distract you from your job either.

I think the point made by @FrankWolley is spot on. If this dog is not trained to handle so many people, there is a fair chance at some point it may not react well to someone. What a mess you find yourself in then.

You can ask course. I wouldn't though. It is a really strange and misjudged request for me,

13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I occasionally work in two Primary schools who have both always have a dog there. I believe they are actually owned by the Heads.

14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I remember seeing that. Wasn't the school placed in special measures?

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

17. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Deeply so!

18. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

My head teacher loves dogs.ive taken my rescue to meet her after work.other staff have brought their dogs in school time for visits.i do take my dog in the holidays when i want to sort my classroom.if they say no get a good dog walker.

19. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

Must be a joke like your other posts :)

20. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Yep know a good few state schools where it happens... obs you need a risk assessment etc