1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing a dog to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by riddikulus, Jul 15, 2017.

1. riddikulus

riddikulus New commenter

Hiya,

I've got a new job starting next year as a full time pastoral tutor at a FE college. This means I get my own office where I will spend most of my time. Do you think it's unreasonable to ask my soon to be line manager for me to be allowed to bring a dog to work? I know there's so many benefits to dogs in the workplace and I think it would really benefit the students and help them with stress etc. but at the same time, I don't want to sound like an annoying new employee and get a reputation.

Thoughts? Anyone been successful with getting headteachers to agree to dogs in school?

Thanks!

kazzakat934 likes this.
  2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Unless it's a mobility dog I would expect the answer to be no.

tall tales, nomad and lilachardy like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You are joking, aren't you?:confused:

tall tales, DYNAMO67 and nomad like this.
  5. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

I think it's a great idea. Our pastoral person beings a dog into work and it is a big hit with the kids. Very calming...

It is worth an ask, as the worst they can say is no.

kazzakat934 and unfoggingblogger like this.
  6. Mrs_Hamilton

Mrs_Hamilton Occasional commenter

This reminds me of one of my favourite primary teachers. She had a gorgeous dog called Polo. Polo sat by her chair in the classroom everyday. I'm not sure how long this went on for I don't think it was all year, but for a long time. It never caused a problem, but could you imagine it now?!?!

kazzakat934 and ViolaClef like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I know of a dog that went into school daily, but the teacher had built a run for him outside the classroom.

The business manager also brought her two dogs into school and they stayed in her office. Except that they didn't. They escaped and ran up and down the corridor, pooing as they went.

So no, not a fan.

savagebarbera likes this.
  8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I hope there's nobody there with an allergy.

steely1 and FrankWolley like this.
  9. GladRagsAtMidnight2017

GladRagsAtMidnight2017 Occasional commenter

There are therapy dogs that visit schools, so I don't know if that is what you are thinking along the lines of? I know these can work wonders with some SEN kids. Perhaps some clarity over this bit i.e. how long would dog be on premises for?
    If it's your dog then I'd be wary. Possible issues would be is the dog able to be around kids comfortably and calmly? Insurance for dog within a school setting. Allergies. Unless of course you think your dog could be a therapy dog and want to consider the training for this?

kazzakat934 likes this.
  10. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I know of a school that has a dog on staff (that's how I like to think of it, anyway) - the SEN kids read to it, because dogs are non-judgmental and appreciative of the company and attention :) However, there are health and safety considerations, and I doubt your new place of employment would be willing to make adjustments for your benefit. You can ask though!

11. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Prep school I worked at a while ago had a school dog - the head's - wandered the corridors and was loved by all the kids.

But you're not the head.

ViolaClef likes this.
  12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

My initial reaction was 'are you for real!' but you can only ask! I am aware dogs can't be alone at home for LONG periods of time although wanting your dog at work with you possibly suggests overattachment. You may get a reputation for being eccentric maybe, annoying probably not. If you succeed, you might get a few raised eyebrows at first and with any subsequent newcomers but people get over initial surprise quickly and other news will soon take their interest. Your dog is likely to be a hit with students and could indeed help anti stress, a student is probably more likely to spill the fact they are failing AS sociology due to their 34 hour a week 'part time job' and relationship issues after stroking something cute and furry! If its NO to the dog, it might be ruff! Good luck!

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

From the variety of answers here, it is obvious that there are two strong views on this. So you can ask, and you might find agreement. Or not!

14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I knew a head who brought her dog to work. I don't like dogs so I would hate it if there was one in school all day. Our LA doesn't allow dogs on site for hygiene reasons so I don't see why this should be an exception. A carefully planned program of Reading To Dogs is different to your dog taking up office space all the time. Or worse still roaming around. It's a workplace so I wouldn't allow it. Some others might, of course, so it's up to you whether you want to raise eyebrows by asking.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

... and he haven't even touched upon certain religious groups' attitudes to dogs.

monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It depends.
    A friend who worked in a posh boarding school reckoned housemasters dogs were important for the children in the school.
    In my current workplace, we have dogs one day a week, and they are loved by our emotionally fragile children, As we have dog allergic staff the dogs can only come in in the absence of these staff.
    I'd give it a few weeks to work out the dynamics of the workplace, then see how the ground lies. There may be staff or students who have considerable fears of dogs, or allergies.

jarndyce, ViolaClef and DYNAMO67 like this.
  17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

We had chinchillas, rabbits and guinea pigs in my infant school, so in addition to streaming eyes we also had rabbit poo and chinchilla pee all over us as they ran riot in the library/reading area during story time, I am pretty sure they were all incontinent. My mother thought it was me or another child until she went to talk to the class teacher who identified the culprits. :eek:

I loved those troublesome critters though. :)

18. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

FE colleges are different. I know several Animal Care teachers who take their animals to work with them - mainly dogs but cats and horses have been known. I have known FE teachers take their dogs in to work during the holidays when their are no students on site. I would start by asking if the dog is allowed in during the holidays first and build from there.
    One caveat - have you read about a certain agricultural college in an area between the Midlands and Bristol? No way would I be taking my dog to work there!!

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Why not? Excellent idea!

pepper5 and Landofla like this.
  20. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I think it's a brilliant idea too! Perhaps research animal therapy courses and suggest training on one to make the most of using your dog during the time he/she is at work.

BelleDuJour and pepper5 like this.