1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bring the dogs in

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by rihlana, Mar 18, 2011.

1. I might bring my rottie in then...he would definitely be able to improve some people's behaviour

by ParentDish Mar 17th 2011
    Categories: Kids news & views
    [​IMG]Here's a whole new meaning to 'teacher's pet'.

Cantell Maths and Computing College in Southampton, Hampshire has introduced its newest pupil - Oscar, a very well behaved chocolate Labrador.

Oscar was brought in to help with some pupils' behavioural problems a month ago. And the plan is working - staff have noticed student misbehaviour has almost halved in that time.

The friendly rescue dog is part of the school's 'restorative approaches' (RA) policy for pupils who cause trouble in class or have fallen out with friends. As part of the scheme, students are provided with a secluded classroom, where they can carry on with their work, or seek comfort from staff - including Oscar. Giving Oscar a cuddle helps them relax and de-stress.

RA co-ordinator Des Anderson said: "He's a best mate for the kids.

2. RaymondSoltysek

RaymondSoltysek New commenter

In the same vein, here's a really nice article form TESS several years ago I discuss with student teachers. A fidgety kid with ADHD in your class - sit a puppy on his lap, that'll keep him still!

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=387206

By the way, I can't see how bringing a a dog in is a "restorative" approach.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

'Now Jimmy- you see how sad you've made Buster?'
    *Buster the Beagle makes mournful face*
    *Jimmy breaks down*
    'I'm a wrong 'un!'

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

all very well as long as you haven't got any religious issues to deal with. Many asian children (possibly of Muslim origin - forgive my ignorance if it isn't a religious thing) are very fearful of dogs and aren't allowed (apparently) to touch dogs which are higher than a certain part of their body (cant remember if its knee or waist)

Im certainly not allowed to bring my dog (great dane) into school, I've asked the question because i had a great design lesson planned [​IMG].

Pedro

5. Yeah for Muslims the saliva from dogs is counted as impure and one cannot pray with it on their clothes or skin...hence the general dislike, esp amongst Asian Muslims, appears to be less so amongst Arab Muslims...

6. RaymondSoltysek

What a fantastic post! I want a Bill in my workplace! [​IMG]
    And thanks for dispelling the Islamophobic tittle tattle...

7. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Sounds awesome, maybe i'll re-think the dog option.
    Really???
    If that was directed at me... I'd hardly say it was Islamophobic
    I merely asked for clarification on a point and if you bother to read the post properly I think you'll find that it was due to a response I had from above and my experiences of walking my dog in an area with a high muslim population, not an opinion!
    Honestly... Can't a person ask a question or have a debate based around beliefs without people jumping on the racism band wagon? Your attitude is more sickening than racism itself!

Can i urge moderators to close this thread before it turns into a tit-for-tat debate??? I certainly won't be responding again.

8. I teach RE and I have never heard of any issues for dogs, regarding Musims or any other religions :)
    My general view on dogs are that they are generally awesome and can bring out the best in people, especially those who might otherwise have poor social skills. I can imagine immense benefits to having them in a school setting.
    I don't think Raymond meant anything insulting by the use of the world 'tittle tattle' - (it didnt strike me that way when I read it) I imagine that it was more reference to innocent misconceptions regarding certain religions that can occur. I certainly hear alot of innaccuracies or rumours passed on in the classroom (particulalry regarding Islam) which arent being spread through any maliciousness but are simply the result of mistaken perceptions on the part of students!
    Regardless of the accuracy of the statement, I certainly didn't think you were being islamaphobic bigpedro (or miss pious) :) so please keep posting!

9. RaymondSoltysek

No it wasn't.
    Yes you did.
    I did.

10. RaymondSoltysek

Thanks for understanding, campania. I used the word Islamophobic in the widest possible sense. I don't think there is a word for Islamoignorant. I certainly do'lt want this to be a thread about Islam, or any other religion, which is why I welcomed Bill's story so much.

11. Speaking as a Muslim, I can tell you that the majority of the muslims in the UK DO HAVE a problem with the saliva of dogs if they follow Hanafi school of thought, which most are in the UK being of Asian origin.
    Strangely this WIKI article sums ut uo quite succinctly and covers the main issues:
    Islam and dogs
    The majority of Muslim jurists consider dogs to be ritually unclean, though jurists from the Sunni Maliki school disagree.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Fadl_23-0">[24] However, outside their ritual uncleanness, Islamic fat?w?, or rulings, enjoin that dogs be treated kindly or else be freed.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-24">[25]
    Muslims generally cast dogs in a negative light because of their ritual impurity. The story of the Seven Sleepers of Ephesus in the Qur'an (and also the role of the dog in early Christianity) is one of the striking exceptions.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-25">[26] Muhammad didn't like dogs according to Sunni tradition<sup class="Template-Fact" style="white-space:nowrap;">[citation needed] , and most practicing Muslims do not have dogs as pets.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Forw_12-1">[13] It is said that angels do not enter a house which contains a dog. Though dogs are not allowed for pets, they are allowed to be kept if used for work, such as guarding the house or farm, or when used for hunting purposes.
    According to a generally unaccepted Sunni tradition attributed to Muhammad, black dogs are evil, or even devils, in animal form. This report reflects the pre-Islamic Arab mythology and the vast majority of Ulema (Muslim jurists) viewed it to be falsely attributed to Muhammad.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Fadl_23-1">[24]
    Another Sunni tradition attributed to Muhammad commands Muslims not trade or deal in dogs.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-26">[27] According to El Fadl, this shows the cultural biases against dogs as a source of moral danger.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Fadl_23-2">[24] However, the Hanafi scholars, the largest school of ritual law in Sunni Islam, allow all trading in dogs.
    According to one story, Muhammad is said to have informed a prostitute who had seen a thirsty dog hanging about a well and given it water to drink, that Allah forgave her because of that good deed.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Forw_12-2">[13]<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-27">[28]
    In a tradition found in the Sunni hadith book, al-Muwatta, Muhammad states that the company of dogs voids a portion of a Muslim&rsquo;s good deeds.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-28">[29]
    Dogs, outside the ritual legal discourse, were often portrayed in the literature as a symbol of highly esteemed virtues such as self-sacrifice and loyalty or on the other hand as an oppressive instrument in the hands of despotic and unjust rulers.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-Fadl_23-3">[24]
    The historian William Montgomery Watt states that Muhammad's kindness to animals was remarkable for the social context of his upbringing. He cites an instance of Muhammed posting sentries to ensure that a female dog with newborn puppies was not disturbed by his army traveling to Mecca in the year 630.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-WattA_29-0">[30]

12. RaymondSoltysek

Well, thank you for your contribution, miss pious, and for the informative paste from Wikipedia.

Perhaps we can all follow the rule of finding out for ourselves from the horse's mouth, so to speak, and consult the local mosque on the issue.

13. Relatively accurate - religious "practices" or cultural but same result!!!

14. Putting the religious side apart, what about the pupils who are scared of dogs? Or allergic?

15. I agree.....

16. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

17. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Brilliant!

18. RaymondSoltysek

Did my reply not suggest that the dog should be kept away from children with allergies?
    Did my reply not suggest that we should pan for ALL individuals, those who will benefit from the dog and those who won't?
    Tell me, why DO they? And if they DO, and a dog helps them in some way - and the two articles clearly show they do, or haven't you read them? - then why shouldn't we use a dog in some way?

19. In that case the Muslim children could just stay well away from the dog and let the others benefoit.